BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Deciding on a kit to order, does it need to be "can-bus"? I want to put the 4300k bulbs in, I figured that might match the Piaa 1100x platinum. Any input please.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
mt45408 said:
Deciding on a kit to order, does it need to be "can-bus"? I want to put the 4300k bulbs in, I figured that might match the Piaa 1100x platinum. Any input please.
I assume you are installing in a 2001 K1200lt if so; There is no "can-bus" on any Lt so no problem there. Up until 2005 there are two bulbs in the single headlight, you should only need to do the low beam bulb. Anything over 4300K and you actually get less distance from the light as it starts to go more blue after that temp bulb.

I put one in the low beam on mine(2005) and it "LIGHTS UP THE NIGHT", no need for a high beam with this light.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Are all HID's created equal or are some manufacturers better than others? Which specific HID units have worked best for those who have made the change?

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I would say that although 4200K may be ideal, 5000K is also a very white light and does not appear to be blue tinted.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
None of the LT's are CANBUS. As far as which HID systems are best there will be those who argue against the "Made in China" units but mine has been working for 3 years without an issue. Check out www.ddmtuning.com Select the motorcycle section and then you just need to know the type of lamp you need.

Loren

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
wa1200lt said:
None of the LT's are CANBUS. As far as which HID systems are best there will be those who argue against the "Made in China" units but mine has been working for 3 years without an issue. Check out www.ddmtuning.com Select the motorcycle section and then you just need to know the type of lamp you need.

Loren

I bet you run the 9000K HIDs in your hack, Loren, just so the light looks purple... just like your bike! :histerica

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
tips727 said:
Are all HID's created equal or are some manufacturers better than others? Which specific HID units have worked best for those who have made the change?
Like everything NOTHING is created equal. Most of the threads regarding HID conversion purchases seem to use price as the deciding factor.
My decision was to purchase from our supporting vendor XenonDepot. They give a discount to the forum members, sometimes have a sale also. Their kit is a plug and play kit. Drill a hole for the wires and plug it together.
I had a problem with plug and got a call the same day with replacement part in the mail and arrived the next day. That kind of service counts big time with me. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wa1200lt said:

Loren
Awesome! I looked back on an old post I did in January 2009 under my old user ID for ddm tuning and the link didn't work so I just assumed they were no longer around. Well, I just ordered my set for h7 low/ h3 high beam kits from them, since my last experience was great.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
mt45408 said:
Awesome! I looked back on an old post I did in January 2009 under my old user ID for ddm tuning and the link didn't work so I just assumed they were no longer around. Well, I just ordered my set for h7 low/ h3 high beam kits from them, since my last experience was great.
Just remember that when you replace the high beam with HID, you will not be able to flash/blink that light anylonger.

·
Registered
498 Posts
johnbaker15 said:
Just remember that when you replace the high beam with HID, you will not be able to flash/blink that light anylonger.
CRAP. I forgot about that! Now I need to contact them before they ship to cancel the high beam.
This is mt45408, I just forgot my password and Cochinosucio was registered on an old email that I can no longer access... But, I finally remembered the password!

Thanks for the reminder!

·
Registered
204 Posts
I just ordered from DDMTuning as I have ordered from the in the past with great results. Now unfortunately, there is a caveat. Last week I placed an order for a 87K100RS I just picked up. I screwed up when I ordered online and forgot to pick a bulb temperature. The confirmation email I read the next day bore this out. I called them up to change the order and seeing as I ordered it late on the night before, figured it wouldn't be a problem. Well the girl I spoke to in the ordering/shipping department told me the order was already boxed and there was nothing they could do. I asked her politely if it wouldn't be easier to open my package and correct the order rather than to ship it to me, then me ship it back to them, then they correct the order and ship it back to me again? She said there was nothing they could do, then hung up on me!

That got me a little hot. I called back and spoke to a man in the technical dept. Who said that once they're packed the "horse has pretty much left the barn" so to speak, but he took my info and said he would see what he could do, lo and behold, about an hour later I received an email from him stating that my order had been corrected. Great news, or so I thought.

Seems that when I checked the tracking number the next day it said that my package had been received by the carrier...in China! Well no wonder the girl didn't think she could change my order. It was being packed and shipped from halfway across the world.

Oh well, I guess all I can do is sit and wait, hoping that they indeed, sent the right one.

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Family_fun said:
I just ordered from DDMTuning as I have ordered from the in the past with great results. Now unfortunately, there is a caveat. Last week I placed an order for a 87K100RS I just picked up. I screwed up when I ordered online and forgot to pick a bulb temperature. The confirmation email I read the next day bore this out. I called them up to change the order and seeing as I ordered it late on the night before, figured it wouldn't be a problem. Well the girl I spoke to in the ordering/shipping department told me the order was already boxed and there was nothing they could do. I asked her politely if it wouldn't be easier to open my package and correct the order rather than to ship it to me, then me ship it back to them, then they correct the order and ship it back to me again? She said there was nothing they could do, then hung up on me!

That got me a little hot. I called back and spoke to a man in the technical dept. Who said that once they're packed the "horse has pretty much left the barn" so to speak, but he took my info and said he would see what he could do, lo and behold, about an hour later I received an email from him stating that my order had been corrected. Great news, or so I thought.

Seems that when I checked the tracking number the next day it said that my package had been received by the carrier...in China! Well no wonder the girl didn't think she could change my order. It was being packed and shipped from halfway across the world.

Oh well, I guess all I can do is sit and wait, hoping that they indeed, sent the right one.

Good luck to you.

Too late for me, guess I will just get a louder horn...lol

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Tried to tell you to use our supporting vendor..they are not in China. :)

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Tried to tell you to use our supporting vendor Xenondepot..they are not in China. :)

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Uh huh. And I would bet they could incorrectly re-order two or three more times and STILL be below the non-China vendor.

Because the order has shipped does not mean they can't be returned for the correct ones.

Loren

johnbaker15 said:
Tried to tell you to use our supporting vendor..they are not in China. :)

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
wa1200lt said:
Uh huh. And I would bet they could incorrectly re-order two or three more times and STILL be below the non-China vendor.Loren
I agree that the price for the China supplier is most likely cheaper.

However since I will most likely only purchase one and not dozens and we are not talking hundreds of dollars, supporting someone that supports the site seemed the right thing to do. And finally did I mention that I actually talked to the vendor (it was after hours) and they corrected a problem with a connector. Mine works great and I am happy. :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
For info

Ordered from Xeon Depot 4500k installed myself this winter. Close to plug and play as it gets.

Service and support excellent

·
Registered
101 Posts
Installed a 5000k 55w low beam and it is a dramatic improvement and worth the cost and effort. I'm also impressed with the wide angle of illumination. Went for a few evening rides and I can go over 35 mph without overrunning the headlight. :histerica

·
Registered
498 Posts
Wait til you add a set of PIAA 1100x's! When my high beam is on, and warmed up, it's daylight in front of me for as far as I need it to be!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts