BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I swear, I did try to search for the 'no tupperware' install of HID, but couldn't find any detailed instructions.

I have a 05 LT, and I just ordered a HID low beam kit.

Can someone point me to the install guide that doesn't have me tear the tupperware apart? Please?

Paul

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
It's there, ( I'll search later) but for most people, removing some of the plastic will make for an easier installation. You still need a place for the ballast and some have epoxied a shelf for it behind the light. I did my 02 quite a few years ago and it took about 2 hours. I don't work very fast!

You can reach up under to remove the black cone, but removing the front nose of the K1200LT will give you more room to work.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, I am no mechanic, I am a computer guy.....

So, I guess, what I am looking for, is the easiest, most detailed instructions available for a 05 (I understand the 05 is the first year that changed some of the lighting stuff).
Also, the fact this is the first BMW I have owned, I am looking for an idiots guide....

Thanks!
Paul

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,176 Posts
rosenhauer said:
I thought 05 was when they made HID headlight standard????
Also nope! I don't even know it it was an option in 05. That came later...

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Paul,

If you go to this link you will get an idea of one installation, http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24707 . I installed mine but did it without removing any tupperware, just took my time and reached up from under the front of the bike. I did mount the transformer on top of the light housing as it made a nice shelf to velcro the transformer to.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
DanDiver said:
It's there, ( I'll search later) but for most people, removing some of the plastic will make for an easier installation. You still need a place for the ballast and some have epoxied a shelf for it behind the light....
Dan, did you epoxy a shelf for yours, and if so, do you have any details or pics of it?

·
Registered
476 Posts
I also velcro'd the ballast to the top of the headlamp, works great. However I was a cheapskate and bought an H7 HID single kit not really made for the K1200LT and I ended up having to drill a new fairly large hole for the wiring into the headlamp bucket. This meant I had to seal it carefully etc, and all that meant I ended up removing all the Tupperware to get the fairing off. So I guess I saved money, but it cost me a lot in time, probably 5 hours of messing around, and i also added relays etc as well. This was the first mod I did to my ride. The light s awesome though.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I did mine last weekend and would suggest removing the tupperware for more room and a secure mounting. It took a couple of hours to do. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
bikerj said:
Dan, did you epoxy a shelf for yours, and if so, do you have any details or pics of it?
I think I used Velcro, but it was on my 02 about 7 -8 years ago. The bike was sold last year and I did not keep pictures of the install. There are lots of threads and pictures, linked in this thread for review. They will all guide you.

Like a lot of K1200LT projects, the most difficult part is to just get started. Acquire as much information as you can ahead of time, think it out and then just start removing plastic. On many projects, I would get into them and then have a question that would be quickly answered in this forum.

Just order the parts and get started. (See below for similar threads)

Oh, and if you don't want to do any of the "normal" K1200LT mods, just get a K1600! They are all included.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Here you go... This is not the install you wanted.. But this will show you everything you have to do.... Just ty-wrap it up under the nose cone somewhere if that's what you want to do.....

I've done it several different ways and they all work...

John

1 - 13 of 13 Posts