BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. Getting a few miles on the new bike, and it's a real impressive machine. Starting to think about improvements. My first one is lights. From searching thru the threads here, it seems as though an HID kit is the best bang for the buck. However, I'm a little confused over what is needed. Looks like prices run from about $110 to $360 (or so). Is this just for lo beam, or do I need to buy two kits, one for lo and one for high? (Bike is a '99). The stock high beam is OK, not great but OK. The lo beam is terrible, almost as bad as my old Triumph. Aux lights may go on later, right now I just need to improve the headlight, as least for lo beam. Thanks for any inputs. Bruce N.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Bruce_N said:
Hi All. Getting a few miles on the new bike, and it's a real impressive machine. Starting to think about improvements. My first one is lights. From searching thru the threads here, it seems as though an HID kit is the best bang for the buck. However, I'm a little confused over what is needed. Looks like prices run from about $110 to $360 (or so). Is this just for lo beam, or do I need to buy two kits, one for lo and one for high? (Bike is a '99). The stock high beam is OK, not great but OK. The lo beam is terrible, almost as bad as my old Triumph. Aux lights may go on later, right now I just need to improve the headlight, as least for lo beam. Thanks for any inputs. Bruce N.
Low beam conversion to HID is the best bang for the buck. High beam not so much, but certainly better when needed.

The CQ HID kits are seemingly very good, for less than half some other options. It depends on where you get the HID kits whether they are single or dual kits. Some have gotten dual kits with different bulbs to fit high and low beam.

My preference is HID low beam, and good aux driving lights for night travel so you can see better, and additional aux. lighting such as Motolights or something under the "chin", like fog lights, to help you be seen by others.

·
Premium Member
7,797 Posts
Keeping the high-beam non-HID (i.e., stock) also allows you to preserve the high-beam for flashing other drivers. Can't do that with a HID beam because of the "cycle-up" time (or whatever it's called) of the HID. Or so I've been told. Engineers, please jump in.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Before you go through the expense and trouble of HID conversion, you may want to try a Sylvania "Silverstar" bulb. I put one in - huge improvement! Not HID, but only 20 bucks!

·
Premium Member
7,797 Posts
Tat_n_Telle said:
Before you go through the expense and trouble of HID conversion, you may want to try a Sylvania "Silverstar" bulb. I put one in - huge improvement! Not HID, but only 20 bucks!
I've been told (local BMW parts manager) that the Silverstar bulb is, indeed, an improvement but HID goes beyond that. Just goes to show how feeble our stock lights are.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
hschisler said:
Keeping the high-beam non-HID (i.e., stock) also allows you to preserve the high-beam for flashing other drivers. Can't do that with a HID beam because of the "cycle-up" time (or whatever it's called) of the HID. Or so I've been told. Engineers, please jump in.
It is not the cyle time so much, as the light is on pretty bright within millisconds. The problem is that if you "flash" the light often, it is always in the high voltage "start" mode, never switching back to the greatly reduced voltage "run" mode. Also, if you do not let an HID bulb get to full temp for a little while, the metallic salts that are added to modify the color temp of the output condense out on the inside of the glass. If you start and stop an HID a few times without letting it get hot, you will see that it turns yellow. That will disappear the first time you let it run for a while though.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Tat_n_Telle said:
I put those in both my BMW car high beams, total waste of money! Only slightly noticeable difference between them and stock. Even the Silverstars look like weak yellow candles compared to the HID low beams.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts