BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was messing around out in the garage tonight with my babies. Before heading to bed, I decided to unpack my new HID kit and just kinda throw it up in place to see what a difference it was going to make. I removed my old H7 bulb and just kinda set the HID kit atop the fender. Put the HID bulb in place, then started making all the connections. When it came time to make the last connection, I ran into a slight problem. The stock H7 connector that used to go to my old halogen bulb does not fit into the input of the ballast!
This is really no big deal as I'm planning on making all of my own connectors anyway, but it did surprise me. Has anyone else run into any thing like this on your CQLight.ca HID Kit?

I did rig up two jumper cables real quick just to check out the light. WOW!!! Very nice. Very very nice. If you're on the fence about getting an HID kit, get off it!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Got mine done

Orlando BMW did my conversion...both lights....they turn night into day...The tech there, Todd, did a first class job on it...mounted the ballast inside the frame on the brackets provided...I know he cut some wires and redid some connections....if you have any questions the forum members cant handle, the guys there would probably be glad to help. email [email protected] . Jason is the service manager, Wally the parts manager...two great guys.
Also, most impressive is the new tail light led kit they put on for me....just came out and it will probably annoy those behind you..
Ride safe,
Ron

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, it's not a matter of needing help . . . like I said in my original post. I just haven't heard anyone else comment that their kit wasn't truly plug-n-play. I am going to be installing an AutoSwitch and relay setup on mine so I can turn my HID off when I want to (upon engine start-ups, working in the garage, etc...). So this isn't a big problem . . . just more of a curiosity thang.

·
Registered
354 Posts
messenger13 said:
I was messing around out in the garage tonight with my babies. Before heading to bed, I decided to unpack my new HID kit and just kinda throw it up in place to see what a difference it was going to make. I removed my old H7 bulb and just kinda set the HID kit atop the fender. Put the HID bulb in place, then started making all the connections. When it came time to make the last connection, I ran into a slight problem. The stock H7 connector that used to go to my old halogen bulb does not fit into the input of the ballast!
This is really no big deal as I'm planning on making all of my own connectors anyway, but it did surprise me. Has anyone else run into any thing like this on your CQLight.ca HID Kit?

I did rig up two jumper cables real quick just to check out the light. WOW!!! Very nice. Very very nice. If you're on the fence about getting an HID kit, get off it!
Joe,

I bought the same kit about two months ago and my stock H7 plug fit the ballast input just fine. They must have given you a different connector on the ballast. Oh well, jot worth returning the entire kit. You'll enjoy the HID. When I got mine, I found myself wanting to drive in the darkest places to just see the light, pretty dumb huh.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
You should have gotten a power cable to plug into the ballast, at least every one I have ever seen or installed came with one.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lovetomotor said:
Joe,

I bought the same kit about two months ago and my stock H7 plug fit the ballast input just fine. They must have given you a different connector on the ballast. Oh well, jot worth returning the entire kit. You'll enjoy the HID. When I got mine, I found myself wanting to drive in the darkest places to just see the light, pretty dumb huh.
Yea...I think they just accidentally shipped me the wrong kit. (Perhaps an H11 connector?
)
Like I said, it's no biggie. I'm going to install a relay and AutoSwitch onto mine so I'll be "tweaking" the connectors anyway. Sounds like a great time to start using my new Anderson PowerPole connectors.

For any lurkers out there reading this thread . . . I find the quality of this unit to be excellent. I was VERY impressed with the build quality of the connectors, cables, and ballast housing. The 2 supplied mounting plates were also a pleasant surprise. I know a lot of other kits do not come with mounting hardware.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Yeah, It seems like I remember filing down the blade to make it fit in the LT's socket....

not a big deal though...

John

·
Registered
470 Posts
Mount option

Joe what configuration were you going to use to mount the ballast and ignitor? My CQ kit just came in yesterday and I have'nt found very many pics on mounting options. The one of sticky taping it above the headlight assembly looks clean and easy butt will the tape hold up over time and weather changes??? I welcome your two-cents..............

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I haven't been able to get to the nose cone removal yet...(I've been working on my Ninja...Bad Joe!) I probably wouldn't use double-sided tape for the reasons you've already stated. I might go with 3M Dual-locks though. You know...the Velcro-like hard tabs that lock together.

Did your kit come with the two metal plates for mounting? I might just use little screws and be done with it. I'm hoping to get to the install early next week. I think I said that two weeks ago though! :eek:

·
Premium Member
7,876 Posts
ronjrieth said:
... Also, most impressive is the new tail light led kit they put on for me....just came out and it will probably annoy those behind you..
Ride safe,
Ron
Ron, can you post a photo please? Inquiring minds... Thanks.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Joe, Where did you get the kit? Is there a model number? What is the cost? Thanks.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Wow...great price. I await your review. The dealer quote for an HID was $1200 installed. I've seen other kits for around $450-$500, but they all required cutting the socket mount and wiring. If this installs "plug and play" it could be the one. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hello Joe,

I just ordered mine also, I went for a dual kit H3 and H7 and I choose the 6500 colour. Which colour did you got for?

If you would post some pics of the mounting, it would be great.

Are you tempted to go for the the motolights now also, not for more light but for 1) greater visibility and 2) cool look? :)

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
markbreen said:
I just ordered mine also, I went for a dual kit H3 and H7 and I choose the 6500 colour. Which colour did you got for?
I went with the 5000 kit. I might go with the 6500 on my Ninja though. Just for "the look".

markbreen said:
Are you tempted to go for the the motolights now also, not for more light but for 1) greater visibility and 2) cool look?
Two sets of MotoLights were my very first mod to my LT...way before I knew about this forum. (see pic)

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Motomadman said:
Joe what configuration were you going to use to mount the ballast and ignitor? My CQ kit just came in yesterday and I have'nt found very many pics on mounting options. The one of sticky taping it above the headlight assembly looks clean and easy butt will the tape hold up over time and weather changes??? I welcome your two-cents..............
I didn't get their kit but have had my ballast on top of the assembly since 2002, about 70k and no problems. It is probably one of the cleanest places on the bike.

·
IBR# 366
16,648 Posts
Mark,

You really want to call them back and change to the 5000K bulbs before they ship. The higher temp bulbs shift the light color some, but put out way less useable light. The point is for you to see further down the road, not to look like some poser street racer.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I ordered the CQ low beam kit the same day Joe ordered his. :)
That means its been installed on my bike about 2 weeks now, :D :D
I finally had the chance to take it out after dark last night,
rode out of town a little to the darkest road I know of.
I can sum up my impression in one word.

WOW

In my not so humble opinion, this is some of the best money I've spent on my bike.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
SilverBuffalo said:
I ordered the CQ low beam kit the same day Joe ordered his. :)
That means its been installed on my bike about 2 weeks now...
Yea but...what mods have you been doing to your other bike? ;) I'm in the garage now as I type this. Looks like a freakin' bike "mod shop" in here. I'll get to the LT this week . . . *cough cough* :D

Hey...I have mine "hooked up"...just not "installed". Looks awesome!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts