BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed HID lights successfully in the wethead without fault codes ?
I have in the past with diodes but would prefer a plug and play system without diodes. If you know of a manufacture who supplies such a kit who makes it ?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
What bike are you talking about?

If it is a Wethead, then yes, many of us have. and with great success too.
Mine don't fault. The beam pattern is easily as good as the OEM lights. Moreover, the lights are brighter than stock.

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
Andy, he's talking about HID while you are talking about LED!!! :)

Pete - listen to Andy, and go with LED instead.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Sorry for the lack of clarity guys. I really was trying to infer that LED's were the way to go.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Boxflyier thanks for the detailed report.
The subject matter is HID low and Hi beam replacement without fault codes.. In 2014 I did a write up on the teardown as did Hammick for HID. My HID setup was successful with diodes but I was concerned the heat from them was a liability. LED was an option at the time with the same concern of heat issue for the Tupperware. I want reliability and was concerned about the LED with the fan becoming an issue. Riding for 20 or more hours a day for multiple days I question the reliability.
So anyone have HID installed without fault codes and no diodes please ?

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I installed LED on my 2016 RT, I used the ones with the braided wire that dissipates the heat. In other words, no fan.
No issue for over 75k miles and no fault codes. Its plug and play. When my HIDs burn out on my LT, I'm switching to LEDs too.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Zeke you remember the brand?

I installed LED on my 2016 RT, I used the ones with the braided wire that dissipates the heat. In other words, no fan.
No issue for over 75k miles and no fault codes. Its plug and play. When my HIDs burn out on my LT, I'm switching to LEDs too.

·
IBR# 366
16,545 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
These guys seem to say they have a Canbus compatible kit: BMW R1200RT HID Kits
I wonder about having an HID bulb in the high beam, won't it be useless if you need to flash someone due to warm-up time or is that something of the past?

I've gone the LED route instead. I installed just the low beam H7 from advmonster. I do ride long days, 10 - 12 hours, but rarely after dark I must admit and haven't had any issue.
I'm not too worried about LEDs overheating, usually when that happens, the LED will reduce it's light output or shut off completely. I can see it might be inconvenient for IBR riders if that happened.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
These guys seem to say they have a Canbus compatible kit: BMW R1200RT HID Kits
I wonder about having an HID bulb in the high beam, won't it be useless if you need to flash someone due to warm-up time or is that something of the past?

I've gone the LED route instead. I installed just the low beam H7 from advmonster. I do ride long days, 10 - 12 hours, but rarely after dark I must admit and haven't had any issue.
I'm not too worried about LEDs overheating, usually when that happens, the LED will reduce it's light output or shut off completely. I can see it might be inconvenient for IBR riders if that happened.
PatM55, thanks

·
Registered
1,026 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
I don’t have a wet head, so my comment may be of no use, I’ve had my HID kit on my 2013 (low beam only) and I’ve had no issues. I switched to LEDs, and the lighting was just dull, and wasn’t as focused. With the dual low beam setup, the HID much more resembles a halogen bulb, and thus the lighting pattern with the HID is a 100 times better. Unless you plan on leaving the high beam on, because it takes a second to warm up, it was just best for me to leave the halogen in, so I could flash when I needed to.

DDMTuning.com 55W and the color was 5500K.

2013 BMW R1200RT 90 Years of Motorrad 2014 Harley Davidson Street Glide

Past Bikes:
2009 Suzuki GSX-R 600
2009 Suzuki GSX-R 1000

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don’t have a wet head, so my comment may be of no use, I’ve had my HID kit on my 2013 (low beam only) and I’ve had no issues. I switched to LEDs, and the lighting was just dull, and wasn’t as focused. With the dual low beam setup, the HID much more resembles a halogen bulb, and thus the lighting pattern with the HID is a 100 times better. Unless you plan on leaving the high beam on, because it takes a second to warm up, it was just best for me to leave the halogen in, so I could flash when I needed to.

DDMTuning.com 55W and the color was 5500K.

2013 BMW R1200RT 90 Years of Motorrad 2014 Harley Davidson Street Glide

Past Bikes:
2009 Suzuki GSX-R 600
2009 Suzuki GSX-R 1000
Tony a little trick with flashing the Hi beam. Energize the Hi beam at start up and periodically when riding. Otherwise the flash will not be quite as brite compared to a HID up to full operating. A so called cold HID HI bulb will flash brighter than a halogen bulb based on my experience.

Reactions: tonyt.0906
1 - 18 of 18 Posts