BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help from the members who have upgraded the high beam on their LT to a HID. The low beam install is gong exactly like Kirk describes in his video. However, the high beam install is not going so well. My questions:

1) Is the metal sleeve removed from the original bulb socket and used with the new HID bulb?

2) There were two plastic washers used with the tube the bulb was transported in. Are the plastics washers used with the install?

3) There is a black and red wire on the new HID bulb assembly, but only a white wire on the original bulb socket assembly. Which wire, red or black, should connect to the original white wire location?

By the way, the HID bulbs/ballasts are from DDM Tuning. If pictures will help, let me know. I'm hoping your memories are sound. Thanks for the help guys.

Scratching my head in Navarre, FL,

Rob
2000 LT

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
You can try and take the metal bracket holding the high beam apart or order the parts from a BMW dealer.

You only use the HID bulb, not any of the packing material, the washers you refer to.

With the BMW assembly the halogen bulb is grounded to the metal frame. Therefor the white wire is plus corresponding to the red wire on the HID bulb.

HID bulbs produce light in a slightly different location inside the LT's headlight which gathers light from the reflection surfaces and focuses the output. As a result both the HID low and high beams will be out of focuses, spread out.

One time I saw a spacer on eBay that was claimed to bring HID bulbs back into focus. After installing it my low beam was indeed back in focus! But even with the brighter HID but I over ran it's ability to project light in front of me around the same speed as with the stock halogen bulb.

The next time I had the nose cone off I removed the spacer and made it thinner, and it now casts the low beam up the road enough to be adequate for most speeds.

If you into the tech area for old articles you'll find one detailing how you solder a very short jumper wire across two solder points on the speedos printed circuit board making your speedo accurate, the PCD uses surface mount components so one must use a low wattage soldering iron with a very narrow tip and insure adjacent components don't have their solder melted.

If the charcoal canister is still being used, that should be removed—also in the old files.

AND, since 00s did not come from the factory with crash pans to protect the trany, double check that one was installed on your 00.

Best from T'son
Bob

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input Bob.

With some coaxing, I was able to remove the metal shroud from the stock bulb assembly and the new HID bulb fits in nicely.

Now I cant figure out how to route the bulb through the plastic sleeve that holds the bulb assembly securely in place. There's an opening the original bulb's white wire was routed through, but the HID bulb will not fit through the opening. Advice?????

Thanks,

Rob
Navarre, FL

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
I used twin tube epoxy to hold the bulb in place after I drilled out enough plastic to route the wires through. If i remember correctly the assembly is designed so that the bulb can only mount one way into it.

At one time someone sold the HID bulb mounted into the high beam holder. He filled in the entire area under the bulb with a compound of some sort?

the main thing it to make sure the bulb is centered correctly in the assembly in the exact orientation of the halogen bulb.

Bob

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Piss Poor Planning Prevents Proper Performance and Assuming will make an Ass out of you. I executed both perfectly. I assumed the HID high beam install would be a straight forward install like the low beam...wrong. Thus, I didn't research the procedure. I found high beam installation guidance last night and will attempt the procedure today after a trip to the hardware store for a round file. I'm a bit nervous modifying an OEM part, but I'll give it a go. What could possibly go wrong? :)

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Bobby,

Going to chime in and remind you that many of us do NOT recommend HID for high beam. You lose the ability to flash your lights to signal someone, and the OEM reflector is not quite designed for the different light pattern put out by an HID bulb.

Still, there are a number of folks who run HID high and low and are happy with the setup. Your bike, your choice.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Timely advice Tony. My frustration was mounting and my patience was waning; thus, I reinstalled the OEM high beam. I'll save the HID high beam project for a cold spell this winter. In the meantime, is there a higher wattage H3 bulb that is a remove and replace for the OEM H3?

Rob
Navarre, FL

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Piss Poor Planning Prevents Proper Performance and Assuming will make an Ass out of you. I executed both perfectly. I assumed the HID high beam install would be a straight forward install like the low beam...wrong. Thus, I didn't research the procedure. I found high beam installation guidance last night and will attempt the procedure today after a trip to the hardware store for a round file. I'm a bit nervous modifying an OEM part, but I'll give it a go. What could possibly go wrong? :)
For a 1999-2004 model K1200LT:
The black plastic holder (of the H3 bulb) is available from BMW for $12.35, so in the worst case, all you will need is to buy a new plastic holder - so cost/risk for this job is pretty low. The metal part of the same holder cost $10.

By the way, although I have seen a high-beam bulb holder modified for this, on my bike I would rather keep the high-beam with stock bulb setup (for quick flash ability).

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am seeing a trend that the H3 HID install is not universally accepted as a "must do" modification due to the quick flash limitation and light diffusion. My end state is to use the LT in 24 hour or longer rallies where I'll find myself on very dark country roads. I wasn't satisfied with the light throw of the H3; thus, I am open to suggestions.

Rob
Navarre, FL

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Motolights mounted on the calipers, mini HID's mounted under the cowling, and a whole lot of other solutions await you.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,989 Posts
I have the high beam HID in both of my bikes. In 44 years of riding I have never needed to flash the high beam. Having both lights HID is sure nice when riding mountain roads at night.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The previous owner had a protective plastic cover over the headlight for rock protection. Now that I have modified the low beam to HID, should I be concerned with heat issues with the protective cover?

Cheers,

Rob
2000 LT, Navarre FL

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
The previous owner had a protective plastic cover over the headlight for rock protection. Now that I have modified the low beam to HID, should I be concerned with heat issues with the protective cover?

Cheers,

Rob
2000 LT, Navarre FL
Ole Toad has had a protective film over the headlight lens since 2000, with HID since then also. No problems. HTH.

·
Registered
170 Posts
By the way, although I have seen a high-beam bulb holder modified for this, on my bike I would rather keep the high-beam with stock bulb setup (for quick flash ability).[/QUOTE]

Why is it that you would lose the"quick flash ability"? I have hi/low H.I.D.s on my 99' and maintain my quick flash. Are you referring to bulb warm up?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts