BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In considering whether or not to install HID bulb upgrade modifications, I'm wondering 2 questions; 1) Are the bulbs much less dependable than regular incandescants? Do you need to change them more often, or less? And 2), how available are the bulbs. Just more stuff to store on a long ride? If your'e out on a 3 week ride and one goes out in the middle of nowhere, are they almost impossible to replace?

·
Registered
929 Posts
I bought my 99 with them already installed. I've owned the bike for three years with no problems. Cannot answer the rest of your questions but I'm sure others will pipe in soon. I am very happy with them--great day visibility and wow, when I do drive at night which isn't often...they are awesome.:D

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Mine are several years old and (knock on wood) still going strong. With my Ducati Designs headlight kid, I have two HID low beam bulbs, so if one goes out I am still good to go, as long as the other stays lit!

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,903 Posts
The only time the bulb will fail is if you break it. No filament just an arc chamber. The ballast is the usual failure point and even then they are very reliable. 6 years plus on my LT and still going strong and bright. Draws less power as well.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I too have nearly three years on mine
No issues. The lamps are available through the manufacturer. Mine are warrantied forever by the mfg. Everything is still in place from the original halogen so a conversion is easy. Disconnect the HID wire going to the lamp and plug the original wiring to a quartz lamp.

Loren

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
I have over 8 years on my bulb. No need to worry. Most units these days are plug and play. I carry the regular bulb in the saddlebag and it is easy to un-plug the HID and reinstall the bulb. I'm beating Murphy since I carry the spare =-}

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Yup, the HIDs are GREAT! Installed mine over 9 years ago. Its probably the BEST upgrade you can add to the bike. You will not be sorry. Do make sure you aim them carefully or you may find yourself in trouble with the law and various angry, temporarily blind motorists.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
^^^^
What they all said. You won't regret it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks a whole bunch everyone. I just ordered a 55W, 6000 color, H7 kit for the Lo beam and another one for the Hi beam in an H3 "bulb" from DMM tuning. $65 total and another $21 (high for shipping?) to ship it. I'll be watching the porch every day like a kid!!!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
alabrew said:
I have over 8 years on my bulb. No need to worry. Most units these days are plug and play. I carry the regular bulb in the saddlebag and it is easy to un-plug the HID and reinstall the bulb. I'm beating Murphy since I carry the spare =-}
when you say "regular bulb", are you referring to a non-HID bulb? If so, are you saying you can plug that straight into the HID lamp socket and it'll still work? :confused: If so, I'd be inclined to whole-heartedly disagree with you.

Now, I did see one post in another thread along same topic lines, where the person mentioned he left his standard lamp socket intact after doing an "upgrade", in order to be able to do exactly what you're mentioning.

Side note: not to pick on or single out NCCCC1, nor to highjack this thread, but I wonder how many subscribers who are also cage owners, jump into their cages everyday and worry about how long their headlights are going to continue burning, or perhaps carry around a bunch of tools in their trunk? Yes, I realize cages usually have more than one headlight. Just saying....

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good point and well taken.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I got the 55watt setup DDM Tuning as well. I went with the 4500k, and the upgraded ballast and heavy duty wiring. I think everything including shipping was about $60.

Dang, I am IMPRESSED! Night looks like daylight in my little bubble. I did need to point the light a bit lower than the normal halogen bulb, so not to pi$$ off any drivers, but it is just plain awesome!

I am so impressed with the DDM setup, I am going to order a kit for my SUV as well.

Paul

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Unplug HID plug in standard lamp... I guess a little explanation is in order..

Most of the newer kits are setup so that you just plug the input to the HID's into the existing lamp socket.. Then plug your HID bulb into the output of the ballast/ignitor assembly...

So when you go back.. You go back to incandescent by unplugging the entire hid setup and putting a regular lamp back into the socket and reconnecting the original wires...

Clear as mud now ?

John

·
Registered
71 Posts
JPSpen said:
Unplug HID plug in standard lamp... I guess a little explanation is in order..

Most of the newer kits are setup so that you just plug the input to the HID's into the existing lamp socket.. Then plug your HID bulb into the output of the ballast/ignitor assembly...

So when you go back.. You go back to incandescent by unplugging the entire hid setup and putting a regular lamp back into the socket and reconnecting the original wires...

Clear as mud now ?

John
That helps me understand it better! Thinking this just might the next farkle since I ride home from work at 3am in Deer Country.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
JPSpen said:
...Most of the newer kits are setup so that you just plug the input to the HID's into the existing lamp socket.. Then plug your HID bulb into the output of the ballast/ignitor assembly...So when you go back.. You go back to incandescent by unplugging the entire hid setup and putting a regular lamp back into the socket and reconnecting the original wires... John
That's too easy John. I did not know that. I wonder if the kit I purchased is setup like that. I guess I'll find out in a few months. Thanks for the clarification. :wave

·
Registered
570 Posts
Given that this is an aftermarket upgrade you will find numerous different vendors offering HID kits with varying levels of quality. XenonDepot motorcycle HID Kits use genuine German made Philips bulbs and high high quality digital ballasts that are both shockproof and waterproof. The ballasts are low draw meaning that you can literally power the ballasts directly from the OEM headlight harness. Quality HID bulbs are rated at approx 2500 hours of use as there is no filament which can break due to road vibrations. The nice thing about most HID kits is that you can go back to stock if you need to. The kits plug into your OEM headlight harness with no modifications so you can easily plug your halogen bulb back into place should you need to. BWWLT members receive a 15% discount on our HID kits by using coupon code BMWLT upon checkout.

Regards,

Steve

·
Registered
335 Posts
XenonDepot said:
Given that this is an aftermarket upgrade you will find numerous different vendors offering HID kits with varying levels of quality. XenonDepot motorcycle HID Kits use genuine German made Philips bulbs and high high quality digital ballasts that are both shockproof and waterproof. The ballasts are low draw meaning that you can literally power the ballasts directly from the OEM headlight harness. Quality HID bulbs are rated at approx 2500 hours of use as there is no filament which can break due to road vibrations. The nice thing about most HID kits is that you can go back to stock if you need to. The kits plug into your OEM headlight harness with no modifications so you can easily plug your halogen bulb back into place should you need to. BWWLT members receive a 15% discount on our HID kits by using coupon code BMWLT upon checkout.

Regards,

Steve
Steve, I went you your website three days ago on June 3 and used the link to your customer service to request your specific recommendation for my '05 K1200LT and still have not gotten a response. Is nobody home?

·
Registered
570 Posts
tips727: Did you send an email or PM? If so, I did not get any PM or email from you. I'm really sorry but somehow the message did not come through. Please send me a PM with your contact info and I will give you a call to discuss your options.

Steve

1 - 18 of 18 Posts