BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have installed a H9 HID bulb in my 09LT. At night I cant see any difference when I turn it on. Looking at the light from the front of the bike the light is really bright so I'm thinking something not right. Have tried adjusting with the knob on right side but with no success. Its almost like the light is diffused and not in focus. Any info appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
A question out of ignorance... is H9 the correct fitment for a post '05 bike, I presume to replace the OEM Xenon globe which started with the 06 models?
All the upgrades from halogen for 05 and earlier are H7 for low-beam.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
just had a look on the fische h7 low h9 is high its important to make certain the globe is correctly located in the socket if it is cocked over all, your light will be spread all over the place

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
OK, so if its the high-beam H9 replaced then the adjusting knob won't make any difference, as that's the low-beam adjustment. The high-beam is fixed.

looking at that fische...
standard low beam (halogen or HID replacement) is H7
standard high beam (halogen or HID replacement) is H3
Xenon OEM is D2R (BULB XENON LIGHT - D2R)

so did you swap the light in the top (low beam) lamp or the bottom (high beam) lamp?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The salesperson told me the H 9 bulb (5000K) is the correct and brightest for my bike. Thinking about going back to stock. Thanks

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
The salesperson told me the H 9 bulb (5000K) is the correct and brightest for my bike. Thinking about going back to stock. Thanks
Here's a very good and simple explanation of HID brightness (measured in lumens) verses colour (actually colour temperature measured in degrees Kelvin)
click .

Still trying to find out the actual difference between an H7 and a H9, although I've come across a few references to a H9 globe on a H7 base... (?) :confused:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts