BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I recently purchased a nuclear green/yellow Olympia jacket. I have been timid about wearing it. I get enough razzing about riding the yuppie Beemer. The Hi Viz and ATGATT are just over the edge.
I wore it riding yesterday for the first time. I must say, I noticed a difference in the cager's attention. I am now ok with it. Screw everybody else. If it helps me live a little longer why not.
I'm just glad I don't have to look at me. I shine like one of those phosphorus glow sticks.
Ellie

·
Registered
11 Posts
After t-boning an idiot in a truck who turned left in front of me, I went to high-visibility yellow as well. It's amazing to watch drivers at an intersection slam on the brakes when their muddled brains compute that something's coming at them. It's not a car, but something bright is coming this way.

There's even a local Harley rider who wears a flourescent orange jacket with lettering on the back - "Can you see me now, ***hole?" Of course, he didn't censor it.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sarmand said:
After t-boning an idiot in a truck who turned left in front of me, I went to high-visibility yellow as well. It's amazing to watch drivers at an intersection slam on the brakes when their muddled brains compute that something's coming at them. It's not a car, but something bright is coming this way.

There's even a local Harley rider who wears a flourescent orange jacket with lettering on the back - "Can you see me now, ***hole?" Of course, he didn't censor it.
I met up with a cage at an intersection who had the right of way. He waved me on ahead of him. It's like magic I tellz ya.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I was the first in our group to wear Hi Viz and received negative comments. Now most of them are also wearing Hi Viz. Those cagers need to see you!!! :sun:

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
missusfinz said:
Hi
I recently purchased a nuclear green/yellow Olympia jacket. I have been timid about wearing it. I get enough razzing about riding the yuppie Beemer.
I have the same Olympia Jacket! I used to be a Harley rider and the regulation clothes were BLACK! I too felt a bit timid about wearing the HiViz when I first got it. After you get used to it you won't even think about it.

The BMW mind set sort of took control and I added extra lights front and rear, reflective sheets to my panniers, changed from a black helmet to a white one, and of course the HiViz jacket. At least I always wore a helmet when I rode the HD. I actually have had people say to me "how can you ride a Harley and wear a helmet"! Now I see those riders and they really look foolish to me.

Each to his own it's still a free country!

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Got back into riding 3 years ago; it was amazing how many cagers were pulling out in front of me. Bought a hi-viz vest and this made a big difference. Still had several cagers start to pull out and then stop. Now wearing an Olympia hi-viz jacket. Not saying this will work all the time but sure has made a difference and a believer out of me. Only way to go.

Other riders say they can see me coming from far away; I think that's a good thing!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi Viz jackets are a prime survival tool worldwide. If the local laws allow coloured headlights, then the addition of a yellow headlight cover for daytime use is a no brainer.

Attachments

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cessna said:
The BMW mind set sort of took control QUOTE]

Where does that mind set come from? I don't wear the gear to fit into some BMW club like the HD folks and there pirate costumes. As a matter of fact, I'm the only person in any of my riding groups that rides a Beemer and wears ATGATT. I just find it funny when I come across a web group making fun of Beemer riders they are usually describing me.

Ellie

·
Registered
181 Posts
Seen = Good :)

Not Seen = Bad :(

Life is way, WAY to SHORT already so, at the end of the day, who gives a hoot what other people think especially the gear you choose to wear while riding your motorcycle... Anything I can do to be more visible & heard I do (white helmet, High Viz Jacket, dual horn).

The testimonies above are right on, on just how effective High Viz is at least in their and my experience...

08RT,
:dance:

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
missusfinz said:
Hi
I recently purchased a nuclear green/yellow Olympia jacket. I have been timid about wearing it. I get enough razzing about riding the yuppie Beemer. The Hi Viz and ATGATT are just over the edge.
I wore it riding yesterday for the first time. I must say, I noticed a difference in the cager's attention. I am now ok with it. Screw everybody else. If it helps me live a little longer why not.
I'm just glad I don't have to look at me. I shine like one of those phosphorus glow sticks.
Ellie
Seems to me a few months back you put up a picture of yourself, gonna update it with that new jacket?

JayJay

·
Registered
98 Posts
I recently bought a hi viz yellow jacket and found an additional asset.
The reflection of the yellow in the dashboard makes it a lot easier to see the data that is normally difficult to make out with the sun in front of you.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
missusfinz said:
I'm trying to be good :v: (Hi Viz icon)
Aw, rats.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
missusfinz said:
cessna said:
The BMW mind set sort of took control QUOTE]

Where does that mind set come from? I don't wear the gear to fit into some BMW club like the HD folks and there pirate costumes.
Ellie
It isn't a matter of wearing the gear to fit into some BMW "club"; but it is more the case that BMW owners, in general, seem to be more safety conscious than many riders in general. At least that seems to be the case here in Southern Arizona.

With the hot weather and no helmet regulations here you really do see a lot of riders using no safety gear at all not to even mention Hi Viz.One of the guys at my local dealer made the comment that people have told him that you can always tell a BMW rider because they wear all the safety gear.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
In Europe most police forces use high viz as part of their uniform/riding gear.

You can imagine what effect it has on other road users when they see you approaching /rear view mirror wearing the same coloured gear.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I use marine rain gear that is orange. I take a lot of ribbing, but I bet I can be seen.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I also use my marine rain gear and find it works as rain gear better than most, last trip to the Dragon we stopped for gas, the lady behind the counter ask if I had any freash mullet... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have a Hi Viz yellow jacket when it is raining, but I find the reason that people don't pull out in front of me is the Pathfinder flashing front light.

https://www.kisantech.com/index.php?cat_id=2

People don't want to pull out in front of a LEO on a motorcycle and at first they see the flashing light and then see it is only me.:)

·
Registered
296 Posts
FWIW, I wear the BMW version of the HiViz Yellow Jacket and have noticed the same results. Also added HID headlights to my '08 RT. Pretty difficult not to see me coming now! Cheers & ride safe.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts