BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. This is my virgin post (so please don't beat me up too bad). I just (last week) bought a 2000 LT with 21k on it. I had been looking at quite a few and finally found the right bike at the right price. I love the bike!!! My plan is to do the 24k service over the winter and give everything a really thorough going over because right now I just want to ride it. I did look everything over for safety's sake before riding and have noticed that my rear rotor is loose. Not super loose and flopping around, but I can grab it and wiggle it around as opposed to my front two rotors which are solid. Has anyone had this happen on their bike? Is it common? Is there anything special I should do or look for before I just torque it back down?
Also, I definitely need to do the throttle cable upgrade that I have read about on here, both of the cables have MAJOR drag! Can someone tell me (or refer me to) what parts I need to order and where is the best place to order them from?
I really appreciate any help you guys can give.
Thank You.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I think I know what your rear rotor issue is. Do a forum search on the words 'cow bell' (no punctuation) and see if the results explain your issue. Seems to be a fairly common "feature" on the LT's that is usually permanently solved by replacing the rotor with an aftermarket part. There are some who have fixed the problem, at least temporarily, without replacement.

Enjoy your new ride. You got a good one without the integral brake system. They can't be beat.

Loren

BeeTee said:
Hi. This is my virgin post (so please don't beat me up too bad). I just (last week) bought a 2000 LT with 21k on it. I had been looking at quite a few and finally found the right bike at the right price. I love the bike!!! My plan is to do the 24k service over the winter and give everything a really thorough going over because right now I just want to ride it. I did look everything over for safety's sake before riding and have noticed that my rear rotor is loose. Not super loose and flopping around, but I can grab it and wiggle it around as opposed to my front two rotors which are solid. Has anyone had this happen on their bike? Is it common? Is there anything special I should do or look for before I just torque it back down?
Also, I definitely need to do the throttle cable upgrade that I have read about on here, both of the cables have MAJOR drag! Can someone tell me (or refer me to) what parts I need to order and where is the best place to order them from?
I really appreciate any help you guys can give.
Thank You.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Until someone who knows what they're talking about joins in, I'll start with the rear brake disk, it's a floating design that, well, floats. (At least on 2002's and up. The brake system on the early LT's was different but I don't think that affected the rotors.) You can't just torque it down. So some wiggle is going to be present, but the disk is also prone to enlarging the mounting holes through wear so the disk has too much play. Eventually it will start to 'clunk' as you stop. Replacement with a disk from EBC is an option.

For parts check http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do?kind=M&arch=0

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Welcome aboard Thomas, you have come to the right place for more information than you can process. I am sure you will enjoy your new ride and as they say around here "RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT".

·
Registered
552 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase.

You mention waiting until winter to do your 24k which should be no problem. But, unless you're certain the prior owner did it recently, I would go ahead a change the oil, transmission and final drive fluids now. It's a very easy service (lot's of great how-to information on this site). It's certainly common when someone decides to sell a bike, it's probably because they have ridden it in a while (which means they probably haven't service it either).

Enjoy the ride, control the smile on your face and avoid the bugs in the teeth. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts