BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some opinions on whether or not those most familiar with the LT would hesitate to enter an extended, multi-day endurance rally with one that has over 100K miles. Although the bike has been meticulously maintained, I'm on my third final drive (of course a new one would probably be installed prior to the rally). The engine has been solid. I've faithfully checked valve clearance every 12K, oil (engine, drive and gear box every 5K with synthetics), brake/clutch fluids changed each year, etc. Its had a new clutch/pressure plate, slave cylinder, cam chain sliders, drive shaft, u-joints, rear engine seal.

My plan is to replace the drive, throttle cables, put on Ohlins shocks, add a Cee Baileys (or similar) windscreen, perhaps some HID driving lights to replace my PIAA 1100s. What about wheel bearings? swingarm bearing?, alternator? waterpump?

I need info from those who've logged mucho miles. I'm probably only going to get one shot at this big rally. I'm comfortable on my LT and I know it well. I do have some concerns about having to navigate nasty dirt roads and trails that may be in the path to a large bonus. Opinions, please.

Thanks,
Bob Lilley
Easton, PA

·
Registered
703 Posts
Bob,
So, you got the "Congratulations!" e-mail from Mrs. Landry! Well, congratulations!

And, the answer to your question, is a resounding no, don't worry about your LT at all! I did two "big shows" on mine. The first one I started with 96,000 on the clock and at the start of the second one, two years later, the '01 had 150,000 on it.

Set the bike up as soon as you can and get used to the changes and work the bugs out, keep maintianing it the way you are now, buy some new rubber, (and maybe an extra rear wheel), and enjoy what will certainly be a life-changing event!

GB

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
If it's well maintained I wouldn't give it a second thought. There are a lot of high mileage bikes that have done fine on the Iron Butt and other long rides. I have a couple of BMW's with a 100K or better, they still get their turns with 1000 mile days.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
BobbyLT said:
I need some opinions on whether or not those most familiar with the LT would hesitate to enter an extended, multi-day endurance rally with one that has over 100K miles. Although the bike has been meticulously maintained, I'm on my third final drive (of course a new one would probably be installed prior to the rally). The engine has been solid. I've faithfully checked valve clearance every 12K, oil (engine, drive and gear box every 5K with synthetics), brake/clutch fluids changed each year, etc. Its had a new clutch/pressure plate, slave cylinder, cam chain sliders, drive shaft, u-joints, rear engine seal.

My plan is to replace the drive, throttle cables, put on Ohlins shocks, add a Cee Baileys (or similar) windscreen, perhaps some HID driving lights to replace my PIAA 1100s. What about wheel bearings? swingarm bearing?, alternator? waterpump?

I need info from those who've logged mucho miles. I'm probably only going to get one shot at this big rally. I'm comfortable on my LT and I know it well. I do have some concerns about having to navigate nasty dirt roads and trails that may be in the path to a large bonus. Opinions, please.

Thanks,
Bob Lilley
Easton, PA
Cograds you are in ! I agree with GB.

My LT had 115K at the start of the 07 IBR. Regarding your questions I would do the following.
- Do Front wheel bearings and seals
- alternator H2O pump, Dot bother I did and it was not necessary, I swapped out the alternator brush at 100K and it was only 50% reduced.

I replaced the transmission bearings and seals at 100 K. I did this because the shop suggested this and my friend Jim Owen blew his trans in 05.
I would replace the fuel pump. My pump did not fail but after changing mine this past winter my bike performs much better. A weak pump makes the bike run poorly.
I would add gussets to the center stand. Mine broke heading to the first checkpoint in 07 and made it near imposable to swap out the rear wheels at that checkpoint. That 10 min job turned into 2.5 hours disaster.
I also had 3 hedder pipes break on day 6-7 . This created a significant power loss and increased fuel consumption. So consider a low mileage set of pipes or beef up the welds.
Bottom line your LT sounds sound you just need to smooth some rough edges. Give me a shout I'm about 20 min away from you.

Good Luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts