BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I intend to do some trips with my bike But also would like to ride this bike around town . How about removing the trunk ? Does that change the handling much ???:wave

·
Registered
209 Posts
I don't think so, but I don't understand why you would have a bike like an LT and then remove its capabilities.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I haven't had mine for very long and I came from an 1150RT which was a couple of hundred pounds lighter, lol, and I can tell you there are venues where it is more fun to have the trunk off. It weighs about 35 pounds and if you take it off and like to ride curvy roads you can appreciate that it is not up there. I think it is is a bit easier for slow speed maneuvering but that may be imaginary.

It also looks sportier without the thing, lol.

Reactions: kbob12

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Hi I intend to do some trips with my bike But also would like to ride this bike around town . How about removing the trunk ? Does that change the handling much ???:wave
About the trunk removal: this subject has been discussed many times here in the past.
You may want to read these 2 most recent threads - some of these post have photos:

https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/165865-trunk-not-trunk-question.html

https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/178449-05-lt-naked.html

·
Registered
462 Posts
Welcome to the sometimes frustrating but always wonderful world of the K 1200 LT. Like you I am relatively new to the big girl, I have had mine just on a year now and have loved every minute. Except for the frustrating bits :histerica
A few months ago I decided to remove the top box to see how it felt. What I ended up with was a bike that was, I felt, more usable and certainly easier to handle at slow speed. At high speed it was easier to flick around and felt more like the most comfortable sports bike you will ever ride. Like a few other here I thought why would you buy a big fully kitted tourer and remove a part of it but I did and I have no regrets. At the end of the day it's a 15 minute job that can be easily reversed at any time when you have that big trip coming up.

Down side? You lose two rear speakers and a back rest for the Mrs's but you don't need those all the time. Up side? you lose 15 kilograms of weight mounted high up on the back that acts like a pendulum. There have been a few times at parking speed when I believe I might have dropped it had I still had the box on.

I actually like how the bike looks without the box now and other people have commented also.

Give it a go, you will be surprized at the difference.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have my trunk off most of the time. I only put it back on when the GF comes along.
After that, it comes off again( truly 15mins effort).
With it off, I screw tie down loops into the mounting holes for the trunk & keep a flight bag strapped down there. It holds my jacket liner, warmer gloves, raingear, etc
This way, for one up riding, this bike is much more agile.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have an 02 and an 05 at the moment. I pulled the trunk off the 02 and found it better at everything, save for one; storage. The trunk is a great thing to have for watertight and secure storage, which is convenient as that's what it was designed to accomplish. However it's heavy and sits way high of the CofG. So this translates to added trouble at low speed. Also, and for me this was the biggest downside, the trunk acts as a sail and moves the bike around a lot from wind/gusts. Once I removed it, the bike was rock steady all the time.

Still, it's a toss up. The functionality of the case vs the perceived "disadvantages". But as was already mentioned, it's a 15 min to remove or reinstall.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Hi New BMW Owner! I am a second year "new" bmw owner. Since my wife does not wish to ride with me, I removed the trunk, and installed a Corbin Smuggler trunk which seems to make it more aerodynamic for a solo rider... though I found I prefer riding with a rack on back and use the Corbin box when going on overnight runs.

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
I too feel the need to put in my 2 cents worth.
I am 71 and have been riding since 16. I did the 4 corners tour on a 2000 Goldwing, toured for 5 years after that on a Haybusa and that is how I was riding when I became a member of the Iron Butt Association riding over 1000 miles i less than 24 hours. Getting older I decided I needed more weather protection than offered by the Hayabusa. For the last 3 years plus I have ridden a 2001 K1200LT. It was awkward to me and listening to the comments of others i removed the trunk and replaced it with a rack and have never looked back. I don't need the speakers because I removed the radio and turned that space into a larger glove box. I do camping trips and have a water proof bag that fits well on the rack. The bag with my tent, sleeping bag, mattress and camp chair weighs 35 pounds. The same weight as the trunk I removed.
The handles better and looks good. Do I travel without the trunk? Yes. I did the iron Butt 50CC in April. That was coast to coast in less than 50 hours. Santa Monica, CA to Tybee Island Geogia in just over 45 1/2 hours. i don't miss the trunk.
It is easy to remove and replace so just try it.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Don't get me wrong, the two main reasons I got this were cruise and the big trunk because the RT would not let me put my helmet in its trunk! Talk about frustrating, lol. I had a Pacsafe bag I could stow it in but it was awkward and the guys would be ordering their meal before I got inside, lol, so I got it and it was so cool to put the big Neotec with the 10C in the trunk like an adult ROFL...then I discovered my helmet would FIT IN THE LEFT SADDLEBAG! :surprise:

I will probably still keep it on during a long trip but for short trips, overnight, etc, I anticipate going with the pseudo-bagger look, lol.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Welcome from Kennesaw GA!

I don't think it changes it, but I really don't take the luggage off except to leave the bike parked at a hotel for a night.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Welcome from Kennesaw GA!

I don't think it changes it, but I really don't take the luggage off except to leave the bike parked at a hotel for a night.
I don't follow. You are talking about a K1200LT, right?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not that I've noticed a change in handling with the trunk off, t just sits back there, never gets in the way. I ride my LT all around town just like the cops on their big cruisers. No problem.

·
Registered
185 Posts
So, "walkabout8255", what's your verdict after receiving all these opinions ?! Here's my .02 -- I bought my LT in 2013, after coming from an FJR1300, Valkyrie, and Concours. Only the Conny had a Givi trunk. So I rode my Beemer a few trips with the trunk; it is very useful for 2 up riding or using it for storage space. Since the bike is a little top heavy, I decided to remove the trunk ( took 10 minutes) and love it ! No regrets, and it can go back on in minutes. You lose two speakers, too. I installed a Ft. Worth rack and have not reinstalled the trunk since 2014, since I ride solo. I believe it handles better at slow speeds, and is 35-40 pounds lighter. I use the side bags for rain gear, tool kit, etc. Any overnight trips, I just strap on a duffle. Try it ! And "watch the idiots" - Ride safe.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Hi New BMW Owner! I am a second year "new" bmw owner. Since my wife does not wish to ride with me, I removed the trunk, and installed a Corbin Smuggler trunk which seems to make it more aerodynamic for a solo rider... though I found I prefer riding with a rack on back and use the Corbin box when going on overnight runs.
Damn that Smuggler is larger than I thought.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Damn that Smuggler is larger than I thought.
lol. The Smuggler can hold my helmet, gloves, rain suit, when I ride somewhere to walk around taking photos.
It is nicely padded inside, and stuff sits lower down where the rear seat would be. I also like the shape compared to the original box.
I removed the radio, and CD player, and the front speakers, so the box hanging out back seemed like a top heavy wind catcher for me.

·
Registered
632 Posts
lol. The Smuggler can hold my helmet, gloves, rain suit, when I ride somewhere to walk around taking photos.
It is nicely padded inside, and stuff sits lower down where the rear seat would be. I also like the shape compared to the original box.
I removed the radio, and CD player, and the front speakers, so the box hanging out back seemed like a top heavy wind catcher for me.
Yeah, I never bought into hard cases on top- too ugly and too expensive. I use the BMW Sport 3 bags.

The Smuggler looks like a mission pod for aircraft! :)

But srsly- I thought the Smuggler was just a small storage area...maybe it's larger for the BMWs?

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Yeah, I never bought into hard cases on top- too ugly and too expensive. I use the BMW Sport 3 bags.

The Smuggler looks like a mission pod for aircraft! :)

But srsly- I thought the Smuggler was just a small storage area...maybe it's larger for the BMWs?
Yes, I like the way it looks, and it is substantial.
I have seen smaller Smuggler cases for other motorcycles, though it sure is roomy for the KLT!

·
Registered
632 Posts
Yes, I like the way it looks, and it is substantial.
I have seen smaller Smuggler cases for other motorcycles, though it sure is roomy for the KLT!
While I love my RT, I am insanely jealous that the Smuggler for your bike is WAAAY better. Damn it's sexy! I'd pay for that (and since it's a Corbin, I certainly will! lol)

I swear it looks like a chair and not a saddle!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts