BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just purchased a used 2000 bmw k1200 lt. when i bought it the man told me it has some issues and sure enough it does. im hopeing for a little bit of feed back sence i have never owned a bmw bike or car. well the bike will start after pumping the throttle a few time and runs for idk anywhere from 5 seconds to 5 min then tapers off and dies or if at any time i use the throttle to rev it up it also dies unless i throttle really fast but even if i do this and it goes back to idle it will purr like a kitten for a few second or minuites. i have ordered a new fuel pump and should be here tomorrow but if anyone has any suggestions they will be greatly apreciated.

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
Every LT has issues. :grin:

If you have not yet bought a Clymer manual, I suggest making that one of your first purchases.

If the bike has sat a long time, especially if with E10 gas, then there is a good chance the fuel system is corroded (fuel pump, etc.) and/or clogged (fuel injectors). I would pull the fuel tank and pull the injectors and consider sending them out for cleaning, particularly if you see corrosion on the fuel pump assembly or slime and gunk in the fuel tank.

Reactions: kbob12 and Patric

·
Registered
66 Posts
Old fuel turns to jello. A new fuel pump is a start (but may be unnecessary). The in tank filter and hoses (Search Stainless u-bend - several threads here on the splitting u-bend hoses) are overdue for swap - put your new pump on while you are in there. Injector cleaning may help. I'd try running Techron through it after doing the in-tank upgrades and fresh fuel before sending off my injectors.

How flat is the battery?

Welcome - lots of good information here if you search for it.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
i just purchased a used 2000 bmw k1200 lt. when i bought it the man told me it has some issues and sure enough it does. im hopeing for a little bit of feed back sence i have never owned a bmw bike or car. well the bike will start after pumping the throttle a few time and runs for idk anywhere from 5 seconds to 5 min then tapers off and dies or if at any time i use the throttle to rev it up it also dies unless i throttle really fast but even if i do this and it goes back to idle it will purr like a kitten for a few second or minuites. i have ordered a new fuel pump and should be here tomorrow but if anyone has any suggestions they will be greatly apreciated.
Hi New 2000 bmw k1200lt owner... welcome to the club! I purchased the same year bike three years ago and I am still fiddling with adding new farkles, and fine tuning. Best motorcycle I have ever owned for stability at speed!
I purchased mine from a friend who stopped riding due to poor health. The motorcycle needed: new fuel pump, injector cleaning, steel braided brake lines, filter and fluid changes, and new tires to get it going. Then, I needed to fine tune things for myself which included replacing the windscreen, removing the stereo and CD player, removing padding to lower the seat, adding lots of lights, and front and rear video cameras, USB ports for charging phone and GPS, removing the rear box and replacing it with a rear rack, or Corbin Smuggler Trunk depending on my travel needs... and the list goes on.
Good luck! Keep the shiny side up!

·
Registered
11 Posts
The fuel injected bike do not require "pumping" the throttle. Sounds like partly plugged and or leaking fuel system issues. Vacuum lines that leak can be problematic too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not directly related to your issue, but I bought a 2002 k1200rs and for the most part it's been a great bike. I'll second what Voyager said and say you should buy the Clymer manual, you'll reference it all the time. Keep up on the scheduled services, it will save you a boatload of money down the road. Pay particular attention to the brake and the brake fluid flush intervals, a bad ABS unit will ruin your day (or several).

·
Registered
24 Posts
YouTube illinoisBMWriders has tons of great LT videos, running the full spectrum of mechanical ability. I've learned a lot and saved a lot. Welcome to the group and enjoy your "new" LT.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi, and welcome.
I bought -00 LT custom last September. Issues...
...yup! Bike is sensitive to Low Battery so be sure to check it.
It swallows tires on hard riding and so on.
One tip I can give you is Illinois BMWriders YouTube channel.
A ton of good easy to follow DIY maintenance videos and useful tips.
And if your radio goes volume up and down plus speedometer is unstable ->check speedsencor wire. Mine was broken like many others have reported.
I have been riding for 36years but never had a bike this comfortable on the road.
Good rides to you and don't give up on the ol'Beemer!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Today LT died on me.
I was on an overnight trip. Yesterday everything was ok, this morning did not start...
... Had To call towtruck.

Not happy.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Today LT died on me.
I was on an overnight trip. Yesterday everything was ok, this morning did not start...
... Had To call tow truck.

Not happy.
19 year old bike? What in the world could be wrong?

Reactions: sailor
1 - 11 of 11 Posts