BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings! I'm truly appreciative of the great support and kind words over the past 11 years. I designed and built my two products due to BMW's design and support shortcomings. Sales have been dwindling and I've wondered over the years while doing production runs, "I wonder when I'll make my final production run". The question has answered itself, as sales are down to a trickle.

Also, I have fantastic opportunities that will tie up my time and my machines for a long time. The Fix-It-Before-It-Breaks kits were out of production during the past 6 months. Now, the end is upon us! I have 7 Billtet Replacement Latch Kits in stock. There are 5 of the "matte black" handles and 2 of the "silver-gold" handles. There will be no more available after these are sold!!

BMW BROKEN TRUNK LATCH HANDLE K1200LT K 1200 LT

Kind Regards,
Evan :wave

·
Registered
363 Posts
Thanks for sharing your skills and ingenuity with us Evan. Your FIBIB latch is a great product!

Bob

Reactions: mwnahas

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
As I bought my LT with a broken latch, I appreciate that you made such a great product and was able to get one before they are gone.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
thankyou for a great product best of luck with your new plans

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
Whomever needs one or has an LT that has not yet experienced a broken latch should jump on this last and final offer! The FIBIB kit was one of the first farkles I added to my '07 LT after I got it and I found it to be a quality product. :bmw:

Reactions: pkpr1998

·
Registered
207 Posts
Couldn't agree more with everyone. I bought one 3 months after i bought my lt last year. Nothing was wrong with the latch, but i didn't want to take a chance. After installing the handle and latch just felt like it could never break. This is definitely one of the first things you should get if you buy a used lt. Check the prices on a new latch (if you can even get one).

·
Registered
2017 R1200RT
328 Posts
Evan, when you say out of production for the FIBIB kit, does that also mean you have no inventory? Went to your site and it stated none available and wanted tho make sure.

Sammy

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
OH NO! Any chance you'd make another run of FBIB? I'd order one right now if there is a chance!:surprise:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The FIBIB's are all gone! They weren't selling and it took way too long to deplete the inventory. Y'all shoulda hopped on the deal back then! Sorry....

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
The FIBIB's are all gone! They weren't selling and it took way too long to deplete the inventory. Y'all shoulda hopped on the deal back then! Sorry....
Got mine just in time last year. I think this should increase the value of my LT!
:grin:

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
So this part would originally be plastic. I got to check on mine, I swore it was metal. Mine might have been done already.
It is metal, but a combination of a poor design executed in weak cast metal (aluminum, zinc, or who know what) makes for a high failure rate. Mine showed no signs of distress after 54,000 miles and much use, but I had filed the catches early on to make the latch close easier. And I trained my wife to always push down on the lid while latching. This allowed the latch to operate with very little force. I suspect mine would have lasted as long as I will have the LT, but when I heard that inventory was depleting, I decided why take the chance. And if the next owner is less careful than me, he still should be OK.
:smile:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I bought my LT with the left side of the latch broken. Since it worked OK, I didn't give it much thought. Until last Sunday. I opened the top case and the right side then let go. After doing some research on this site, I thought I'd better order the latch repair kit. Problem was, at the time, $375 was out of the question. Then came payday Friday. Surprise! an extra amount on my paycheck! Ordered online from Evan. Got an email today stating that it had shipped. I was a bit worried since "the end" had been fortold awhile ago. I am so glad I got this ordered and there were still some in stock!

Thank you, Evan!

·
Registered
63 Posts
It is metal, but a combination of a poor design executed in weak cast metal (aluminum, zinc, or who know what) makes for a high failure rate. Mine showed no signs of distress after 54,000 miles and much use, but I had filed the catches early on to make the latch close easier. And I trained my wife to always push down on the lid while latching. This allowed the latch to operate with very little force. I suspect mine would have lasted as long as I will have the LT, but when I heard that inventory was depleting, I decided why take the chance. And if the next owner is less careful than me, he still should be OK.
:smile:
Putting a dab of heavy anti seize compound on the lower latch bar helps reduce the operating force further.. If you want it to really be smooth, replace each of the pins with a small #10 screw and cover the exposed screw threads (or shank) with a short length of 1/4 inch polyethylene or tygon tubing. Makes everything move like buttuh.......:smile:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you all for the kind words! It's been a strange little niche product. Not terribly profitable, but a nice little "recession fighter".

OK, there are only 5 left, one silver/gold, and 4 matte black!

Thanks again,

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
Thank you all for the kind words! It's been a strange little niche product. Not terribly profitable, but a nice little "recession fighter".

OK, there are only 5 left, one silver/gold, and 4 matte black!

Thanks again,
Any current motorcycle projects? Or have you moved on to bigger and better things?

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Another "thanks again" from downunder Evan. Hope your next project is fun....
cheers

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm doing stuff with spy planes, UAV's. I've long been involved with UAV propulsion. I design and build some really cool engines. Also, I have a couple of kick ass new products that I'll be producing for runners, triathletes, and gym folks. They are novel muscle massage rollers. Classy design and classy construction!

So can you guys guess WHAT country other than the United States has purchased the most LT Trunk Latch products? Y'all kick it around and type in your guesses!! :wave

1 - 20 of 44 Posts