BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know how big of a can of worms i would be opening if i made my own coustom exhaust i'm thinking about four seperate pipes and quite a bit louder any suggestions and where do i look for aftermarket and would this void warrenty :bmw:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Well it would almost certainly void the warrenty. I would put a lot of thought into this. Where would you run four pipes? If you're making a custom exhaust why would you need aftermarket? Remus makes an aftermarket exhaust. Unless you have a lot of free time and money I would think the Remus would be more cost effective. $450 to $535 depending on wether you want carbon fiber, aluminum, or titainium. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Making new exhaust is no big deal at all. However you might want to take a few things into consideration SIZE of tubing, LENGHT of tubing, Wall of tubing, Type of material tubing made of, Where do the convergecies go and how long, where do the divergencies go and how far. In a nutshell, There is a lot of engineering going into the simplest exhaust. These companies have already done the engineering if they have a reputable system. Just pry that wallet open and buy an exhaust so you will be done with it.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
x101bigfoot said:
does anyone know how big of a can of worms i would be opening if i made my own coustom exhaust i'm thinking about four seperate pipes and quite a bit louder any suggestions and where do i look for aftermarket and would this void warrenty :bmw:
What's the point... More power? (probably less). More volume? (you're losing your hearing fast enough without aggravating it) More "I'm a bad a** m***********? On an 800 lb. touring bike? :histerica

Unless you modify the motronics and fuel rails at the same time ... :rolleyes:

Even if by chance you ARE a rocket scientist I would be surprised if you'll get any more power - the catalytic converter is usually the biggest part of ANY exhaust restriction and you are 100% illegal without it. Have a warranty claim with a modified exhaust? Doesn't even matter even if it is NOT engine related - you'll be flat out rejected in a heart beat. Buh bye. Adios.

Just do like I used to do on my Jap bikes back in the 70's - take a stout piece of rebar - stick it all the way in the exhaust until it stops and start pounding hard with 5 pound mallet. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts