BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of us with hexhead bikes remember the “fuel flange “recall from a few years back.

The original problem was the composite flange at the quick disconnect coming out of the fuel pump assembly was flexing due to pressurization and depressurization of the system and developing cracks around the base. The fix in that last recall was to place a metal retainer ring over the flange to reinforce it and to eliminate or mitigate any cracks.

Well apparently that fix wasn’t good enough; in the mail today from BMW I got a recall letter saying if you had that recall done, they want to replace the fuel pump. Apparently there have been more reports of leaks and that metal flange didn’t solve the problem.

Also of note is the line “no remedy available yet “ - which means they either have to put a different style fuel pump assembly in, or they are building up enough parts up to send out to the dealers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
I received my recall letter today, 10/13/2020. My bike is a 2011 RT Premium edition and I believe the paperwork shows the earlier recall was performed before I purchased the bike. If things go according to plan, tomorrow morning, my fellow Beemer Geezers and I will finally get together for our first ride of the year. Yes, first ride together this year! In fact, my only ride was to get my motorcycle out of its building and ride it around the house a few times just to reassure myself I could still get my legs over the machine, drive it down and up the ramps back into the building. So, in addition to being out of practice, now I have to be concerned about the safety and reliability of the machine's construction.

While I appreciate the nimbleness of the RT, the power, good brakes, adjustable ride selection, and all the additional "bells & whistles"...the old chugger Honda Shadow 1100 VTwin I rode for nearly two decades (sold to my neighbor who is still riding it) never required anything more than a few sets of tires, oil changes, occasional drive shaft lube, and a few new batteries.

Three of the four bikes in our little group tomorrow will be under this recall. I will make a copy of the notice and share it with the guys in case they have not received theirs. Wish me luck for tomorrow's ride. I'm 75 and a bit rusty from not riding during the pandemic. In addition to my age, I have other risk factors that have caused me to restrict public exposure. I am encouraged by one of our fellow riding buddies. He is 85 and likely to be leading the ride.:)

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Haven't received the letter yet. My VIN comes up under the recall. Just have to figure out where to take it.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haven't received the letter yet. My VIN comes up under the recall. Just have to figure out where to take it.
Ponch:

When I called my dealer he wasn’t aware of the recall...so I had him look it up.

Since (like many of us on the forum) I do most of my own work on my ‘09 RT I told the local dealer service manager “ I don’t recall if this one has the metal reinforcing ring...I can pop a body panel off and let you know or send you a pic”.

He said “It doesn’t matter...you still have to bring it in so we can visually verify if the first recall was done, then we’ll put you on a list for whatever/whenever BMW finally decides the resolution is...”

TWO trips to the dealer? I think not.

So I called BMW Customer Relations and discussed it with them. Unlike the service manager I spoke to at the dealership when the Customer Relations Rep ran my VIN (which the local dealer allegedly did on our phone call) and told me by bike HAD the first recall completed and there was no need for two trips.

The Customer Relations rep also informed me another letter will be coming to me when they figure out the fix (and it’s available) so I can schedule it with a dealer service department.

I think I’m going to have a different BMW dealer fix this...as my closest one is apparently going to be a problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Yeah, got my letter today. They want to put a new pump in. No parts right now, just a warning to bail off the bike if you smell gas. Second letter coming as to when parts are available. I put a clamp in it years back myself, though I never removed the fitting. No need to. the part that fails normally in the past is the male fitting on the hose not the part in the tank. BMW is worried about the pump discharge flange that the female part of the quick connect is threaded into. I had it inspected at the first recall but now can't remember if they put the BMW clamp on it.
So, I'll lift the plastic and take a look this week, not much else to do...

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It will be interesting to see what the difference is in the “improved version” of the pump...

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Got my letter today

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts
Got a letter for my 2010 GSA , they had put a ring on the right pump as I remember.

I have two other recalls open on my bike now, one for the rear brake flange & one for the blinkers.

BMW went thru 2 or 3 aluminum ones before they went to steel . Mine is the last generation of the aluminum ones & it looks fine. I am not going to let them have at my bike with a torch & a hammer for something that is not broken.

Also, my bike has the LED blinkers , the government says it is a few MM too small, they are brighter & easier to see ...but they want to put the slightly bigger , but harder to see ones on...I don't think so:cool:

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got a letter for my 2010 GSA , they had put a ring on the right pump as I remember.

I have two other recalls open on my bike now, one for the rear brake flange & one for the blinkers.

BMW went thru 2 or 3 aluminum ones before they went to steel . Mine is the last generation of the aluminum ones & it looks fine. I am not going to let them have at my bike with a torch & a hammer for something that is not broken.

Also, my bike has the LED blinkers , the government says it is a few MM too small, they are brighter & easier to see ...but they want to put the slightly bigger , but harder to see ones on...I don't think so:cool:
The rear wheel flange is not a big deal for shops to do...when it first came out I called my dealer and they said they could put me at the front of the line, and anticipated doing many.

I said I’d like to be #100, not #1 on the list...that way they could get the procedure down lol. It was a pretty quick service. I think I was #52...

The rear flange problem was caused by people not torquing the fasteners to spec...over-tightening and cracking the flange. Always use a torque wrench for that task.

If your wheel flange doesn’t have cracks radiating from the holes it’s not a problem.

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts
If your wheel flange doesn’t have cracks radiating from the holes it’s not a problem

Yap.. I think if it ain't broke...don't fix it:geek:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got my letter too (another 2011 Premium Edition owner here too). I had a fuel leak crop up a few months ago and determined the plastic nipple coming from the top of the fuel pump housing was cracked. I replaced all of the flanges and fitting with the metal Beemer Boneyard replacement kit. Problem solved, but is this the source of the recall notice?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I got my letter too (another 2011 Premium Edition owner here too). I had a fuel leak crop up a few months ago and determined the plastic nipple coming from the top of the fuel pump housing was cracked. I replaced all of the flanges and fitting with the metal Beemer Boneyard replacement kit. Problem solved, but is this the source of the recall notice?
No. The source is the flange that the nipple goes into. That cracks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts