BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 02 K1200LT that hesitates like so many others do and I saw posts saying to cut the brown wire under the seat to get rid of throttle hesitation. I saw posts saying cutting the brown wire will cause poor gas mileage, must run high octane gas and some other possible problems and was wondering if someone could help me understand the pros & cons here?

Thanks, Doug
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
Doug,

I don't know of cutting the brown wire causing any problems. I have always used premium in mine because that's what the book recommended.

If you are concerned, cut it and put an alligator clip on both cut ends so that you can reattach them if need be.

Keith
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
206 Posts
I cut mine and put a small Rat Shack switch in the odments box and turn it on and off, depending on the temperature.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
855 Posts
The brown wire is an electronic path to a retarded ignition map. Similar to the VOES in Harleys. The purpose is to retard the ignition under low RPM/heavy load conditions. It prevents pinging. Low speed combined with high temperature causes the BMW to retard the ignition also, & it uses the brown lead to do it. Cutting the lead prevents the ignition from retarding, so you should use a higher grade of gas to help prevent pinging, & keep the RPM's higher. Of course keeping the RPM's higher will also prevent the stalling. It's just that with the wire cut you don't *have* to remember to keep the RPM's up.
Your gas milage won't suffer much, but your riding will be more comfortable. Lots of us have done it with no ill effects.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,208 Posts
Brown wire

I have an 2002 also and hesitated cutting any wire on such a well engineered bike.
Living in Florida I had to deal with the hesitation quite a bit.
I have always run premium in all my bikes.
I finally got up enough courage to cut the wire:
There was an immediate improvement in the way my bike ran, should have done it a long time ago.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
raywest said:
I cut mine and put a small Rat Shack switch in the odments box and turn it on and off, depending on the temperature.
When do you turn it on, hot or cold? I don't even know what the brown wire goes to.
 

·
IBR# 366
Joined
·
16,555 Posts
In the upper left corner there is Technical link. Under that is K1200LT Info:FAQ. Click on that, then scan through the topics or just search there for brown wire or hesitation. That will bring up lots of useful info.

And for the record, both ignition maps are stored in the Motronic. If the brown wire is intact, then a certain pin is grounded, and the standard map is used. If the wire is cut, then that pin is floating, and the secondary map is used. It's fairly safe, just make sure you cut the correct wire.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,905 Posts
I installed a switch on mine too. Just make sure (for all you switch users out there) that you only change the position of the switch when the bike is OFF. Not that you will hurt anything, per se, but if i understand it correctly...toggling the switch with the bike running does NOTHING. The bike needs turned OFF then back ON for the remapping to occur.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,916 Posts
Will clipping the brown effect the chip and pipe if one has that installed? Me too live in Florida and deal with hestiation?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
damenke said:
I have a 02 K1200LT that hesitates like so many others do and I saw posts saying to cut the brown wire under the seat to get rid of throttle hesitation. I saw posts saying cutting the brown wire will cause poor gas mileage, must run high octane gas and some other possible problems and was wondering if someone could help me understand the pros & cons here?

Thanks, Doug
I live in the Dallas TX area and cut the brown wire about a year ago. I feel that it has improved cold startup hesitation. I guess that I never felt that it was all that bad to begin with, but did it anyway. As far as the gas mileage go, I swear that it is somewhere between the same and better than it was before the cut. I generally check the mileage everytime I fill up with super and have been getting anywhere from 40 to 47 mpg. To me, it was a no lose proposition - just cut it. You can always solder it back together if you want to, but you won't!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Brown Wire Vasectomy

New brick rider here. Just did the 24k service and started getting hesitation when temps rose above the 90 deg. mark. I researched the "brown wire" issue. So I took the plunge... against logic, closed my eyes and cut! Wow!! Instantly a new animal. No hesitation, better mileage and "feels" more responsive. My wife even noticed the difference (I didn't dare tell her what I had done :eek: ). I don't know if it makes a difference or not (probably not) but just for the fact that the '03 was used and that I hadn't done it before, I reset the computer by removing the battery for 30 minutes. So far I HIGHLY recommend gettin' snipped! :rotf:

Mike Cox
Grundy, VA

'03 Anthracite

Stay Safe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
I have a 02. Cut the brown wire just days after I bought it new. I run 93 octane in it. It runs great. Mileage is in the upper 40's.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,345 Posts
Brown wire

I gave my '03 Boston Blackie a brown wireectomy Thursday. It runs great now! Thanks for the info. These sites are great....... :)
 

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
Joined
·
8,172 Posts
Mike, be sure to reset your throttle sensor after disconnecting the battery:

- Turn ignition ON but do not start the engine.
- Open throttle wide open, close throttle, open throttle wide open again, close throttle.
- Turn ignition OFF.
- Turn ignition ON and this time start the engine. You are ready to go for a ride. At first the engine may stall when idling, but this will go away and the bike will run smoother after a few miles.
mikecox142 said:
New brick rider here. Just did the 24k service and started getting hesitation when temps rose above the 90 deg. mark. I researched the "brown wire" issue. So I took the plunge... against logic, closed my eyes and cut! Wow!! Instantly a new animal. No hesitation, better mileage and "feels" more responsive. My wife even noticed the difference (I didn't dare tell her what I had done :eek: ). I don't know if it makes a difference or not (probably not) but just for the fact that the '03 was used and that I hadn't done it before, I reset the computer by removing the battery for 30 minutes. So far I HIGHLY recommend gettin' snipped! :rotf:

Mike Cox
Grundy, VA

'03 Anthracite

Stay Safe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Hi All,

I recently bought an 03 with approx 40K miles.
I am experiencing this issue, saw your threads and then popped the seat.
Anyone have a picture showing which brown wire and where to cut?

thanks,
Tom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,208 Posts
Welcome to the forum Tom.

You must be "digging deep" to find this thread from 2005 :)

When you lift the riders seat look along the rear of the right side frame rail
for the wiring harness with a short brown "loop" sticking out of it,
mine was actually under the harness, its the only brown loop,
just cut it and take the LT for a ride you'll be glad you did.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
I owned my new 02 for only 1 month before I cut the wire. I use 93 and it runs great. I get about 45 to 50 mpg on the highway.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,561 Posts
It's that little brown wire on the left with the white switch wires going to it, NOT the heavy brown wire on the right...........................................................
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,402 Posts
tfaludyjr said:
Hi All,

I recently bought an 03 with approx 40K miles.
I am experiencing this issue, saw your threads and then popped the seat.
Anyone have a picture showing which brown wire and where to cut?

thanks,
Tom
In this pic you can see the battery neg terminal in the foreground. This is looking from the left side of the bike toward the right.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Well, finally plucked up the courage and snipped mine, although its too cold/windy/wet to go for a ride right now....my bike is a 2001 model with a manufacture date of 07/00 (according to the VIN) but it did have the brown loop.....will have to see how it goes...it started fine (as it had done a few minutes earlier with the loop intact).

I have had a couple of times where there's been some noticeable hesitation so will be interesting to see what this does to it.

Marc
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top