BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I accelerate while travelling on the highway at 120 to 130 km/h (75 to 80 miles/h) there is a noticable hesitation before my LT (1999) realizes that i have turned the throttle, almost like its not getting enough fuel or almost a sort of 'choking' affect. It does after a momentary hesitiation accelerate. I have read all about the 'brown wire' and temperature sensor in the airbox and also the 'canisterectomy' procedure. I understand the modification that disconnects the temperature sensor in the airbox but I am not sure what the 'canisterectomy' procedure is intended to fix. My bike is a 1999 model and does not have the brown wire.

I am getting about 9km/l (21 miles/US gallon), is that a reasonable fuel consumption? It seems high to me. This would be in all sorts of driving conditions including town (stop/start) and highway at speeds up to 160 km/h with two people on board. I am not sure if ambient temperature makes a difference but daytime temperature now in Johannesburg is 30 degrees celcius (86F), I suspect the hesitation to accelerate could be due to the temperature sensor in the airbox at this ambient temperatures.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Your bike does not have a cannister - unless you imported it from the US.

Your dealer will do a motronic check no charge.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Geoffrey. I have a 2004 with only 2400klm, I bought it new only two and a half weeks ago. Even though it is barley run in I am getting more like 18klm per litre. It works out to 55miles per imperial gallon. So something sounds wrong.

Let us know what you find out.

Nick

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
My 00 would hesitate at low RPM in every gear, when the temps hit mid 80s and higher.

Check your mileage by using the distance you travel and fuel you put in. 21 mpg sounds way low.

Bob

·
Registered
320 Posts
Geoffrey said:
I am getting about 9km/l (21 miles/US gallon), is that a reasonable fuel consumption?
Unless you are always hiding uphill, two up, against the wind, with low tire pressure on cold days..(grin)...something is not right ...sounds like you are running way too rich and the bike's "Motronic" computer may be in what is know as "limp" mode. When the computer thinks something is so wrong that it doesn't know what to do it will default to a rich condition so as to not damage the engine.

Unfortunately there may be no warning lights or other signals that the bike is running in "limp" mode. One member reported that the oxygen sensor (or the wriring to the sensor) was defective and the only way he knew something was wrong was the excessive fuel consumption in the range that you are reporting.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
Geoffrey said:
When I accelerate while travelling on the highway at 120 to 130 km/h (75 to 80 miles/h) there is a noticable hesitation before my LT (1999) realizes that i have turned the throttle, almost like its not getting enough fuel or almost a sort of 'choking' affect. It does after a momentary hesitiation accelerate.

I am getting about 9km/l (21 miles/US gallon), is that a reasonable fuel consumption? It seems high to me.
When was the last time you replaced your air filter? A clogged filter would cause the symptoms you described at high speed and lousy gas mileage.
Replacing the little buster is quite a bit of work though... hence maybe the reason why it has not been replaced as needed...

Gilles
'99 "Red" LT

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
How about just trying to reset the motronic first. I would either pull the fuse or disconnect the battery and let it sit over night, then reconnect everything, turn the key on, open the throttle two full turns, start it up, and ride.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Forget about the brown wire, the 99 does not have it. Sounds more like the motronic has defaulted to the "limp home mode".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts