BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I adhere to the belief that if a jerk wants to take something, he's going to take it. Not much you can do about it. I also believe that most jerks that steal, steal to sell what they have stolen. They don't keep the stuff, they just want to "off it" and make a few bucks to support their drinking or drug addiction.

With that in mind, I've devised a plan to get my Garmin 2820 back if this were to happen.

Here's the way I see it going down:
  • The junkie rips my GPS off my bike when I'm inside a gas station buying a Gatorade and some Beef Jerky. Yea it sucks ... but life goes on.
  • The junkie then sells the GPS for $20 to an opportunistic stranger on the street.
  • The new owner of my GPS then goes home and gets online to shop for a power cord for their new GPS.
  • The power cord arrives and all is good. He or she gets into their car, plugs in the GPS and they fire it up. Oh they are so excited! ... and this is what they see:

And they get the privilege of seeing that Splash Screen each and every time they fire up MY GPS. (At least until they figure out how to change it.) If they are a good Samaritan, I'll eventually get my GPS back. If they are not, at least I get the satisfaction knowing that I tried. And sometimes, that's all you can do. Maybe it would work ... maybe it wouldn't. But at least I tried. :)

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Hi, Joe.

Ok, I love it. But how do you change the splash screen? Must be some kind of super-whammydyne-magic thangy. Anything like Dick and thong thang?

Karl

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,459 Posts
kmurphy165 said:
Hi, Joe.

Ok, I love it. But how do you change the splash screen? Must be some kind of super-whammydyne-magic thangy. Anything like Dick and thong thang?

Karl
Man, don'tchew ole Geezers get a lapse of memory now and then?????? :rolleyes: Sheeeesh!! :p You need to go read the site FAQs where it sez henceforth, it's verboten to use that th..g word!! ;)

Hi, Karl!!! :)

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
That's a pretty neat idea. How did you do that and can it be done on a 2610? I know I can dump a screen, but I don't know if I can upload one.

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
I don't know Joe, but you have been in a pretty good mood for the past couple of weeks (lol). How many snow days have you been off?

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HowTo use xImage

kmurphy165 said:
Ok, I love it. But how do you change the splash screen?
Simple. Garmin has a program called "xImage". Download and install it. Then you can upload a new splash screen, or capture screen shots FROM your GPS. Cool. :cool:

To see if your model supports xImage, click on this link, then select your model. xImage will be in the "Additional Software" listing. If it's there, download and install it.

Note: THE VERY FIRST THING YOU WANT TO DO the first time you run xImage is to download the OEM Splash Screen and archive it for when you want to return the GPS back to it's original Splash Screen. Make sense?

Note II: When uploading a new (or edited) Splash Screen, the file needs to be named "Splash Screen.bmp". You'll also want to make of note of the original splash screen's size. I believe they are all Bitmap (.bmp) files, but you'll want to make sure of file-type as well.

dwsdad said:
How did you do that and can it be done on a 2610? I know I can dump a screen, but I don't know if I can upload one.
See above. Yes, your 2610 can do this.

mtrevelino said:
I don't know Joe, but you have been in a pretty good mood for the past couple of weeks (lol). How many snow days have you been off?
Today is a "Conference Break Day" or some such thingy. I don't care what they call it. Just so I get eggs & bacon for breakfast with my wife . . . at home! :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Re: HowTo use xImage

messenger13 said:
Simple. Garmin has a program called "xImage". Download and install it. Then you can upload a new splash screen, or capture screen shots FROM your GPS....
Good find Joe, but...
Not available for (native) Mac...foiled again!! C'mon Garmin, hurry up!! :brick:

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Joe being an idiot!

JATownsend said:
Good find Joe, but...
Not available for (native) Mac...foiled again!! C'mon Garmin, hurry up!! :brick:
Geez, that's hard to believe. I figured MACs were so good at video that all one would have to do is just set their GPS next to the MAC, and the magic would just happen. You mean to tell me that the MACs require software to accomplish this? :confused: Who'da thunk? :p

:stir: Oh I just love stirring the "MAC vs. PC" pot, now don't I? Pay no never mind. I really don't give a rip what someone's typing on. Really.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Re: Joe being an idiot!

messenger13 said:
:stir: Oh I just love stirring the "MAC vs. PC" pot, now don't I? Pay no never mind. I really don't give a rip what someone's typing on. Really.
Stir away...Garmin has us to the point where we are only lacking a couple of features the PC throng takes for granted. They have been moving much faster to support Apple then I ever expected! :D :D :D Maybe they know something you don't! ;)

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You know it!

glenhinegardner said:
Hey Joe, tell them about Monday? Presidents day! Do you have it off also?
Oh yea . . . I almost forgot. :rotf:

And everyone thought I was going to need some time to get acclimated to a real job's work schedule. What a hoot!

·
Registered
590 Posts
I'm sure if I tried it I would not get the GPS back; instead the thief would probably take my email address and sell it to a spammer.

Your idea reminds me of a friend's approach. He had one of the very early home gun safes. It was a "horizontal" safe, much like a large footlocker. His house was burglarized; the thieves carried the safe into the woods (it was full of guns and lots of ammo so they probably hurt themselves. By the look of it, they spent a while beating on the safe, to no avail. He got all of his stuff back.

Later on he taped an envelope to the side of his safe with a $20 bill and a note to the burglar telling them not to bother trying to open or remove the safe (this one was bolted to the floor). They are looking for easy money anyway, so give them a bone and send them on their way.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I think it's pretty naive to think the new 'owner' will actually contact you.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
®win said:
I think it's pretty naive to think the new 'owner' will actually contact you.
Just like the finder of my wallet that sent it back. (It fell off my bike. I got it back about 6 months later.) Hard to believe I know ... but there are good people out there.

Besides, I'll take naivety over cynicism any day. :)

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Are Ohio Schools ever going to open again!

Friggin ice storm has lead to endless threads about his GPS!

Joe, find something else to do with your time than play with this new toy!

:p

·
Registered
609 Posts
messenger13 said:
Just like the finder of my wallet that sent it back. (It fell off my bike. I got it back about 6 months later.) Hard to believe I know ... but there are good people out there.

Joe-
Similar experience....wallet missing-noticed on ride home by instinctively patting my pocket re-traced the ride (to no avail) head home phone rings : Dublin Oh PD save the day ...collect all the spread out cards and such...soooo
cool- I bought the PD dept. a few pizzas from Rotellos those that know..............CRAVE!!!!!

·
Registered
938 Posts
messenger13 said:
This is the LAST ONE, I promise! :eek:

But it's gotta be better than another oil or tire thread. ;)
+1 But its making me think about buying a GPS :)

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
messenger13 said:

Many years ago, I was on a business trip to Munich, Germany. I got a call around 2:00 in the morning from my wife in South Carolina, who was frantic. A lady had called from Germany saying she had found my wallet in a taxi, so called the number in it. (I had not missed it yet) She left the contact number with my wife, who gave it to me, then I called early the next morning and met her at her hotel to get the wallet back, just before she was headed to the airport to go back home to Sweden. She said she did not trust the taxi driver to try and get it to me, so took it on herself to spend the time. She would not even let me pay her for the overseas phone call she made! Yes, there are some really honest people in the world.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts