BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rode my '01 LT from South Bend to Covington, KY over the weekend to visit my neice and her family. While enroute I noticed a noise while pulling away from stoplights.

We're all familiar with the little clunking sound our abs units make when we first start our LT's and pull away from a stop. Well, this sounded a lot like that clunk...maybe a little louder and happened only while pulling away from a stop or slow roll...but not only from the first pull-away after a startup, but subsequent motor-runnin' pull-aways as well.

Today coming back, it didn't do it even once. Everything was back to normal. At no time during the noises did my abs lights flash. My brakes seem to be working fine.

Any ideas anyone? Could it be something amiss with my abs unit?

I'm leaving this Saturday for a leisurely ride to the International in Vermont, so this ISN'T the time for mechanical failures. Since my LT is an '01 without the power brakes...if my abs unit comes up bad, will my brakes still function OK (minus the abs feature, of course)?

So many questions...so little time!!!

Thanks,

Paul Rakestraw
South Bend, IN

·
Registered
726 Posts
Thump in the night.

Did you have anything in the trunk that could have rolled to the back of the truck causing the "thunk" everytime you left a light??

I leave for Vermont Friday night from Seattle. Staying in Spokane Friday, Billings Saturday, Valley City, North Dakota Sunday, Marquette, Michigan on Monday night. Pitawawa, Ontario, Canada on Tuesday night.

Gene

·
Registered
182 Posts
Had some tools escape from the roll in the side case once. Caused some heart palpitations till I figured out what it was.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I get that clunk also. Just thought it was the clutch or trans engaging.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You know it hadn't even occurred to me that it could be something clunking around in the trunk or side case (Duuuhhhhh)! But I never heard a sound shifting gears or excelerating at higher speeds...only while pulling away from a stop or slow roll. Sure hoping that's all it was.

Chatted with my "independent" mechanic today (former South Bend BMW mechanic) who voiced doubt it was the abs unit. Any problems with that unit would probably generate the flashing fault lights on the dash.

I'll be listening closely this week before departing for Vermont this Saturday.

Thanks,

Paul

1 - 6 of 6 Posts