BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I changed out the fuel and air filter, I mounted the tank and wanted to verify it had been done correctly (I didn't want to get all the tupper ware back on, discover something was wrong, and take it all back apart). SO, I turned the key, heard all of the usual clicking sounds and hit the starter key. She turned over fine but wouldn't start.

Dam!

I undid the seat bridge, removed the tank, drained it and remover the fuel pump. Unfortunately, the fuel filter was attached the right direction and all of the lines were on it.

Since she was apart, I put another new fuel filter in, changed out the QD I lost a rubber gasket for, installed a new section of fuel line from the pump to a line on the bike.

The it remembered there were more connection under the sting ray than needed for just the radio.

I reinstalled the stingray, added fuel, turned the key, hit the starter, and she fired right up.

I noticed that my foot was wet, and smelled gas. Dam! the last QD I installed was leaking. Yup. Lost the O-ring on that one also. I yanked that one, ran the lines back together and fired her up again.

Moral of the story, the QDs I bought from McMaster-Carr were a real PITA!

And. Well. You know. there isn't a quick way to check out a fuel filter change!

Also. There is a third connector in the rear of the bike that it if disconnected while removing the trunk, will kill the power to the the key.

Best from Tucson
Bob

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Bob;

Thanx. I'm scheduled to do the 24K in a couple of weeks and will keep this in mind...... :cool:

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I rarely use my electric screw driver,

Before starting on my LT I charged her up the night before.

When I started the next day, the screw driver had a nice fresh charge with tons of torque for about 5 min, then stone dead.

Also, while taking off all of the tupperware I managed to loose 2-3 of the brass colored slip on nuts that the tupperware bolts usually screw into.

I'm wondering if next time I start yanking tupperware of if I should have a box of rubber O-rings that fit the tupperware bolts? Remove the panel, push the bolts thru the panel with the O-ring holding them in place--no more picking out what length bolt goes where?

Best from Tucson.
Bob

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
BecketMa said:
I'm wondering if next time I start yanking tupperware of if I should have a box of rubber O-rings that fit the tupperware bolts? Remove the panel, push the bolts thru the panel with the O-ring holding them in place--no more picking out what length bolt goes where?

Best from Tucson.
Bob
or...you could just print this out and use it for reference. :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Perfect Hans

Thank You for your time and the information.

Best from Tucson
Bob

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Talked to the dealer today.

They got her back together and running. But, it didn't right. They pulled all 4 injecters and found 2 clogged and the other two had wrong spray patterns.

They have ordered new injecters.

Best from Maine
Bob

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The new injectors came in Wed, according to the dealer.
For once, they didn't put my bike into normal rotation behind other bikes there for service--they will work on it today, thursday.

It seems as if one major dissadavantage to owning the LT is that BMW NA doesn't stock many parts.

My guess is that bikes with more sales, stock parts in the USA.

Next up for my LT is to see why the clutch lever travel changed all at once?

Best from Maine
Bob

·
Registered
607 Posts
Good luck Bob. Keep charging forward.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Any update?

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After installing new injectors, she started running again.

They changed the clutch fluid, I changed all of the fluids in Jan, and tried the clutch. It works and feels the same as LTs they have there. The clutch grabbed low before I started changing fluids.

They also changed the trany fluid to regular oil based fluid. For some reason they think it will seep less that the "red line" I had run in there for a few years. Unfortunately, I had switched back to non-synthetic when I changed all the fluids in Jan.

I'll be picking her up on Tuesday.

Best from Gorham Maine
Bob

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,980 Posts
It's good to here you'll be back riding again :thumb: . Make sure you get the old injectors back. There are several places that rebuild them for $15 to $25 each.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts