BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
need some help guys not quite sure how i should wire this i bought the HID low beam upgrade for my 2000 lt and i can't really find any good threads on step by step instructions on wiring this thing do i need to use the relay and inline fuse they provided and go all the way back to the battery for power or can i just plug into the old socket and power with that doing away with the relay and fuse. :confused: any help you guys can give me would be greatttttttly appreciated.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Xenon Depot is a member here. Why not call them directly? I'm sure they'll take you through it step by step.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
There are a couple posts somewhere on this, still looking.

Here is one on Webbikeworld link

Here is anotherone I was thinking about link.

I know there is a better one out there... :(

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
johnbaker15 said:
There are a couple posts somewhere on this, still looking.

Here is one on Webbikeworld link

Here is anotherone I was thinking about link.

I know there is a better one out there... :(
hi john thanks i found those but doesn't really tell you how to wire the darn thing :confused: appreciate the help though

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,545 Posts
While I have not looked at their kit - they usually just plug into the exsiting socket for the H-7 low beam bulb. There was a good article that Joe did but the pictures are now gone so that is no help. It should have a grommet with four wires passing through it. You need to drill a hole for the grommet in the cover behind the headlight. Then it should just be plug an play as the connectors are usually keyed. No need to run a relay as it will draw less power than the stock headlight.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
flyerp52 said:
hi john thanks i found those but doesn't really tell you how to wire the darn thing :confused: appreciate the help though
It's a plug and play thing..just plug it into the existing wiring. It comes with a connector that you just plug into the one you remove from the existing bulb.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Hi,

Our ballasts are low draw meaning that you can safely power the ballast directly from the OEM headlight wiring without using the relay harness. If you have any questions, please send me a PM with your number and I will give you a call to discuss.

Steve

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks everyone i'am going to try and tackle this thing tomorrow i'am sure its probably pretty straight forward.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,545 Posts
mtrevelino said:
I have both Joe's and Raffy's instructions.
Thanks for posting those. I have added them to my files.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
got the light installed and wired up yesterday very easy definitely plug and play thanks for everyones assistance. :wave

·
Registered
390 Posts
I installed a HID lamp in the low beam position of my 2003 LT at least three years ago. I simply unplugged the halogen bulb, saved it as an emergency spare, and connected the HID kit to the existing wiring. The only alteration is the hole drilled in the plastic cover that permits access to the bulb holder. There is little more to this conversion than changing a burnt-out halogen headlamp bulb. You'll see a 400% improvement in brightness, better peripheral illumination, and a better illumination straight ahead. No downside whatsoever to this conversion, and no need to convert the high beam.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is everyone using a relay hooked to the battery on the K? I IM'd KBCARSTUFF.COM and they said I'd receive an error message if the relay wasn't used. Your thoughts?

Opee

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
You missed this at #8

XenonDepot said:
Hi,

Our ballasts are low draw meaning that you can safely power the ballast directly from the OEM headlight wiring without using the relay harness.

Steve
A K1600 may be different if that is the bike you are referring too in your avatar.

·
Registered
5 Posts
alabrew said:
You missed this at #8

A K1600 may be different if that is the bike you are referring too in your avatar.

I didn't miss it, it's just conflicting with what I was told by the someone at the same company. I know these BMW electrical systems are touchy to say the least, so it made sense that with less of a draw from the HID, it might cause a problem. Just wanted to hear one way or the other from someone that actually has one on their bike.

Opee

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
opee6969 said:
I didn't miss it, it's just conflicting with what I was told by the someone at the same company. I know these BMW electrical systems are touchy to say the least, so it made sense that with less of a draw from the HID, it might cause a problem. Just wanted to hear one way or the other from someone that actually has one on their bike.

Opee
Ok here goes...I have one on my 2005 and it is direct connect no relay. Been running three years now. :wave

·
Registered
570 Posts
opee6969:

It really depends on your motorcycle. We have had 2 identical bikes, with different software versions, and one did experience a fault when a harness was used.

In fact, sometimes not using a harness is better, as it actually puts sufficient load on the OEM wiring so as NOT to trigger a fault.

I would suggest not using the harness first, and if it works then you are good to go.

Steve

1 - 19 of 19 Posts