BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

So now I’m a year into the LT experience. I’ve worked out the problems with the brake noise. I’ve dropped it once (no damage) and, in general, I love the bike. I have two issues and I could use some advice with them.

1. I can never figure just how fast I’m going. I know the speedometer is off and reads on the high side. I’m not sure how much because the thing is hard to read. Just where is 55 – 65 100. Maybe someone in the aftermarket has made a replacement speedometer face. That’s probably too easy.
2. The next thing is the windshield. I’ve replaced the stock with a Cee Baleys #1 with wings. I like the looks of the windshield but if I adjust the height to look over it, I get a lot of turbulence around my helmet at speeds over 40 mph ( I’m guessing about the speed) I know the Cee Baleys Co. makes a shield with a re-curve near the top. Has anyone tried it, and does the curve cause distortion in the event you want to look through it instead of over it.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I can tell you what I did about #1--speedo problem. I installed a Sigma Bicycle speedometer and now I can tell how fast I'm going within 1 MPH. It's great to really know your speed without having to deduct 10% from the BMW's speedo reading.

I posted an article on how I did it--search for Sigma and see if you can find it, if you're interested. If not, PM me and I'll see if I still have the info someplace.

·
Registered
654 Posts
1. You can do a speedo fix. That will fix the acuaricy but not the visability, if that’s a problem for you. A GPS is another option that addresses both issues.
2. The Cee Baleys #2 is the shield has a built in reverse contour that is very subtle, yet pushes the ram air higher than the stock shield.

http://www.ceebaileys.com/bmw/1200ltsel.html

·
Registered
275 Posts
Speedometer: I use the onboard computer function(MPH) to check my speed by using the reset mode while on the go..I've checked it against my analog readout and the computer readout comes out to be about 4-5 miles per hour slower..Don't know how valid it is but with all the comments on a 10 % error on the low side it might be a fairly accurate way getting a valid speed check..
'Course nothing beats a GPS readout..
Windshield: switched to a Parabellum..smoother wind flow and distortion free..

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Until I fixed my speedo, with the mod on this forum, I simply multiplied the speed by .9

I recently rode by a side of the road radar system that indicated speed. My speedo reading of aprox 40 gave me 40 MPH from the radar unit.

Bob

·
Registered
124 Posts
zaphod said:
1. You can do a speedo fix.
Given the available information, we don't really know that, do we? As I understand things, the "jumper fix" won't work with the late models. Am I wrong?

·
IBR# 366
16,555 Posts
The jumper fix doesn't work on '05-'06 bikes, but you can remove the actual speedo needle and set it slightly lower. It's almost as much work though.

·
Registered
58 Posts
How about a Laminar Lip? It's gotta be cheaper than buying a new CB.
Has any one else had any experience with them? I had one on my VFR, and I liked it. When I get to that point on my wish list, I intend to consider the lip.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
1) i am too lazy to fix the speedo. i just calculate 10 percent optimism. at 100 i'm actually going 90, etc. ... it's EZ.

2) maybe go back to the stock windshield? i don't know about cee bailey, but the stock windshield has a very definite sweet spot that allows me to look over it.

·
IBR# 366
16,555 Posts
I tried a Laminar Lip on my LT. It is an improvement over the stock windshield, but it has its quirks also. Since the windshield is so tall, you have to attach it at the edges using stick-on velcro pads. Not only are these visible while riding, but they allow the Lip to flex at speed and push back in the center, negating any wind flow improvements. To counter this, there is a large rubber bumper that gets stuck dead center, which you can also see while riding. I found it helped, but increased the annoyance factor considerably.

I think the Laminar Lip works well on sport bikes where it can be attached using the factory windshield screws, but on a large windshield like the LT's it isn't the best solution.

The Cee Bailey #2 (with upper flip) seems to work well for me, and many others.

·
IBR# 366
16,555 Posts
Gary,

Come on down my way. We'll have that speedo fixed in a couple of hours. :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
KBandit said:
1) i am too lazy to fix the speedo. i just calculate 10 percent optimism. at 100 i'm actually going 90, etc. ... it's EZ.
I wrote the book on "lazy", for things I really don't think I should have to do, but this speedo thing is annoying and a PITA. I don't want to be having to do mental gymnastics all the time, when the objective is to just be able to enjoy the ride (and stay legal).

·
Registered
58 Posts
meese said:
I tried a Laminar Lip on my LT. It is an improvement over the stock windshield, but it has its quirks also. Since the windshield is so tall, you have to attach it at the edges using stick-on velcro pads. Not only are these visible while riding, but they allow the Lip to flex at speed and push back in the center, negating any wind flow improvements. To counter this, there is a large rubber bumper that gets stuck dead center, which you can also see while riding. I found it helped, but increased the annoyance factor considerably.

I think the Laminar Lip works well on sport bikes where it can be attached using the factory windshield screws, but on a large windshield like the LT's it isn't the best solution.

The Cee Bailey #2 (with upper flip) seems to work well for me, and many others.
Thanks for the info!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts