BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the misfortune to have my slave cylinder leak last year and as a result I had to have my clutch replaced in February. I paid dearly to have it done by the dealer because my lack of proper tools or ability on my own to do it. Now that I have a new clutch, slave cylinder and rear tire I am ready to ride. Now a new problem has raised it's ugly head. I was having a hard time getting it started. The battery isn't staying charged. Had the battery checked and it seems to be ok. I show 12 volts on the battery after charging for several hours. When I start the bike the voltage never changes it stays at the 12 volt mark. This morning when leaving for work the battery light came on. Is this a sign that the alternator is not working? If I heard correctly to get at the alternator I have to redo just about all that was done to get to the Weclutch. Is that correct?
I'm calling the dealer tomorrow to see if maybe they did something wrong but I don't think they would admit it.
1st question, are the bushes replaceable or do I need to replace the whole alternator?
2nd question, since I am out of repair money for this year what is the chance of someone in the Western Michigan area with mechanical expertise on these things doing a alternator repair at my house for eats and I would be very willing to pay some for the help? I like the bike but enough is enough.
Thanks,
Marty

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Marty,
Deep breath, relax, pick up a new battery and in all probability you'll be good to go!

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Here is a start on your questions.
MartyBlok said:
The battery isn't staying charged. Had the battery checked and it seems to be ok. I show 12 volts on the battery after charging for several hours. When I start the bike the voltage never changes it stays at the 12 volt mark.
First 12 volts after charging is low, how did you check it? After starting it should be higher than 12v, don't have exact number but seem to remember about 13.2v
MartyBlok said:
I'm calling the dealer tomorrow to see if maybe they did something wrong but I don't think they would admit it.
Did it ever have more than the 12volts after the dealer visit? If not I would guess something was not connected properly.
MartyBlok said:
1st question, are the bushes replaceable or do I need to replace the whole alternator?
There are more things than brushes you would have to worry about in a rebuild. If it comes to replacing the alternator, you may be better off in sourcing one off ebay.
Other folks will chime in on haw hard it is to get to the alternator.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
12 volts is a dead battery - should be 13.2 (2.2 volts per cell X 6 cells) - when the engine is running and above idle alternator should be putting out 14 volts measured at the battery - if still 12 volts suspect alternator

·
Registered
656 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
If it turns out to be the alternator, is a PITA to get to for sure. I do have one available if you need it.

That said, I imagine it is the battery of you are only getting 12v after a charge.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I like to use a meter to check what the voltage is when the bike is not running, and again when it is running. When it is running, if you can keep the meter terminals on the battery or get some help, rev the engine a bit. The voltage should be over 14 volts if the battery is charged while engine is running, but as an indication the alternator is working, the voltage should at least go up some amount from idle to 3000 rpm.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well it is good news. Went back to the dealer today and they checked the battery. Only 12 volts at the battery and only 12 volts when the bike was running. Checked the battery and said it was bad. Put a new one in but it still showed 12 volts when the bike was running. They were able to get a the tester on the alternator and it showed it was putting out 14 volts. Now they had to figure out why it wasn't getting to the battery. After removing the plastic and tank so they could get to the top of the alternator they found one of the lugs not tight and in the fuse block under the tank they found a loose connection as well. After a new air filter and new battery it finally got 14 at the battery when the bike was running. Their opinion is that it was that way for quite a while and it finally reared it ugly head. I rode in snow and cold both ways for about 25 miles and had a great time knowing all was well again. I'm liking the bike again.

Marty

1 - 8 of 8 Posts