BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK - I have traced a oil leak to the top of the engine on my 2001 LT. I'm guessing the Crank Case breather hose and have gotten as far as taking the air box off. I can see the sucker and the oily mess but can't get to it.
Looks like I might be able to get to it by removing the fuel rail and throttle bodies. One small problem, HOW? IS there an easy way to take this mess off as a unit?
Any help here would be appreciated.

·
Registered
247 Posts
For throttle body removal, see Clymer p 251. For fuel rail removal, see Clymer p. 248. Relatively straight forward process. Great pictures too.

Clymer is for 1998-2005 LTs, manual M501.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,979 Posts
If you compress the front suspension a little (I use a ratchet strap) you can get your hand into where it attaches to the engine.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
John, a couple pics that might help:

Here's a view of the hose from the front of the engine:

As you can see here, the clamp on the engine end of the hose is more easily accessed from the right:

The lower portion of the electrical box is not in the way:

You'll definitely have to pull the throttle rail to get to the intake end of the hose -- there's no room to get our fingers in there, and as you can see in the first pic, these are crimp-on hose clamps (a pita in this location):

Once you have the throttle rail loose, you can pull it away to access the crimp-on clamps.

HTH!

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Mark.
I was looking at the throttle rail today and it looked like I might be able to loosen it and move it far enough, leaving the fuel rail in place. Possible?

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Did that project last winter.

I got big fat fingers so had to take some stuff apart to get in there.

Word of advice. Before buttoning it up, be sure you have full throttle movement, some of those clamps, if not installed properly, can interfere with full throttle range.

Be a good time to slip in a new set of throttle cables.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can loosen the throttle rail and move it up enough to get to the crank case breather tube without removing the throttle rail. Also there is enough slack in the throttle cables and cruise control cable so you do not have to disconnect them.
Findings:
The crank case breather had a small crack and was leaking from that and from the connection to the single hose. I have a new one waiting at A&S to pick up on Tuesday.

Now I have to get it back together right.... .:confused:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts