BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just brought Elton's 05 K1200LT home to Dallas. One of the PIAA lights went out on a weekend drive. I believe he has the 1100X ez.

How do I get the bulb out. It wasn't giving easily and I was afraid of breaking the lens cover.

Thanks,
Syd

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
sydvicioustx said:
I just brought Elton's 05 K1200LT home to Dallas. One of the PIAA lights went out on a weekend drive. I believe he has the 1100X ez.

How do I get the bulb out. It wasn't giving easily and I was afraid of breaking the lens cover.

Thanks,
Syd
There is a phillips screw on each side of the silver body that holds down the chrome piece. If the lights are mounted under the cowls you may be able to rotate them enough to get the screw that is hard to reach. You may need to loosen the retaining nut located on top of the bracket. If not... you need to remove the side tupperware: bummer!
Once the chrome piece comes apart just disconnect the wire at the bulb. Replacement bulbs are about $37.00 for an original PIAA.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Syd, still having problems ?

call me 972-205-4281 (Garland)

Jim, Ezy-Mount Products....

sydvicioustx said:

Thanks,
Syd

·
Registered
308 Posts
FWIW you can remove the lens from the PIAA bulb and glue it onto a standard MR16 lamp for just a few bucks rather than the $37.00 PIAA. -Chuck-

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help guys. I rotated it and took out the two screws holding the chrome cover. I decided to order OEM and paid $33 from whitehorse online.

Link to bulb

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
sydvicioustx said:
Thanks for the help guys. I rotated it and took out the two screws holding the chrome cover. I decided to order OEM and paid $33 from whitehorse online.

Link to bulb
Syd, the trick to longer PIAA bulb life is to turn the lights off when you shut the engine off and only turn them back on after you start up the engine the next time. This will avoid the double hit - first when you turn the ignition on, second after you the engine is started.
It seems the PIAAs are sensitive to the on-off-on again...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts