BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve sifted through many forums and decided on a mount for my Valentine 1 radar detector. Problem is, now I can’t find the mount I decided on. It replaces the dash/map light and looks pretty simple. I have pictures of it, but I don’t know the manufacturer or where to get it. Any help would be appreciated. Also I’m new to this can-bus system, I was planning on just using the map light for power, but which wires do I use?
Thanks,
2007 LT
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
722 Posts
Jackel said:
I’ve sifted through many forums and decided on a mount for my Valentine 1 radar detector. Problem is, now I can’t find the mount I decided on. It replaces the dash/map light and looks pretty simple. I have pictures of it, but I don’t know the manufacturer or where to get it. Any help would be appreciated. Also I’m new to this can-bus system, I was planning on just using the map light for power, but which wires do I use?
Thanks,
2007 LT
Try searching on BMR shelves on this site or just a WEB search should lead you to what I think you have seen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,424 Posts
Unless you've found something unique, the only thing that replaced the dashlight mount was for the original BMW Navigator GPS. I think you can still buy that mount, but you'll have do some modifications to get it hole a Valentine 1.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
418 Posts
If the BMW mount is not available, here are a few more options:

BMR Products sells a shelf, plus accessory arms for mounting gear.
http://www.bmrproducts.com/categories.php
Raffy also sells BMR products at:
http://motogear4you.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=3&osCsid=30536cb257c2f4d06cf23cc7784752f9

RDU Designs has a shelf for the K1200LT: http://www.rcudesigns.com
I've had mine on my LT since 2001 for my GPS and Valentine 1 radar detector.
Used to mount the GPS on the shelf,
but too hard to read and had to reach forward to work the GPS.

RAM Mounts give you many mounting options for almost anything you want to mount.
http://www.ram-mount.com/Products/MotorcycleMounts/tabid/128/Default.aspx
I use a RAM mount in my left mirror hole with the 5" arm to mount my Garmin GPSMAP 276C.
 

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
Joined
·
8,183 Posts
Jackel said:
Here is the mount I'm looking for. I'd really prefer this one over a shelf, cheaper to.
Also I know the purple wire to the light is hot, what of the remaining two wires should I use for the ground (green or brown)?
Brown is ground.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,080 Posts
Jackel said:
Here is the mount I'm looking for. I'd really prefer this one over a shelf, cheaper to.
Also I know the purple wire to the light is hot, what of the remaining two wires should I use for the ground (green or brown)?

did you ever find this mount?

This is a great mount...

Paul
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,210 Posts
That is a pretty unique mount but.......
You'll lose most of the valentines rear view features
by putting it in front of yourself rather than on the right side
where it is designed to be!
 

·
Registered
1999 LTC
Joined
·
14,460 Posts
Jackel said:
I’ve sifted through many forums and decided on a mount for my Valentine 1 radar detector. Problem is, now I can’t find the mount I decided on. It replaces the dash/map light and looks pretty simple. I have pictures of it, but I don’t know the manufacturer or where to get it. Any help would be appreciated. Also I’m new to this can-bus system, I was planning on just using the map light for power, but which wires do I use?
Thanks,
2007 LT
Do the newer model LTs utilize the can-bus system now? I didn't think they did, butt I'm not always right!! :confused: ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,080 Posts
SilverBuffalo said:
That is a pretty unique mount but.......
You'll lose most of the valentines rear view features
by putting it in front of yourself rather than on the right side
where it is designed to be!
Hans,

I agree that the V1 would be best off to the side, but as a V1 user for over 10 years, I can attest that the V1 works well for rear detection even when the rear view is blocked. I have one in my cage and even when the back is fully loaded to the top with kids, luggage etc, the rear detection is really good. If you think about it no matter where you mount the radar, the rear view will be "blocked" at all times by your body depending on the angle of the radar. If you place the datector on the right handle bar, the 45 degree angle from the left side of the bike, your body is blocking the view.

BUT with that being said, I am looking for a decent way to mount the V1 on my new K1200LT.

I have not seen any great pictuers that compliment the bike's looks and at the same time provide for a good backwards view.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top