BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my sad tale. My bike is a 2005 LT.
Radio/intercom worked normal last Sunday. Monday I loaded the bike in the back of our 5th wheel toy box. Drove to Jekyll Island, GA, about 250 miles on Tue. Wed went to unload bike from RV and battery stone cold dead. Put battery on 1.5 amp trickle charger over night and battery took a full charge. Don't really know why battery died but I suspect the radio may have been turned on the whole time the bike was in the RV. I have the 2 hour time out turned off. The external speakers are on mute as I use helmet headset so the radio could have been turned on and I wouldn't have heard it. The wife and I rode the bike today and everything but the radio/intercom work normally. The radio appears to be dead. With the ignition key off, if I hit the power button on the radio the LCD display lights up showing TIME, "RADIO" (but no info below the "RADIO icon), "BC" and all BC functions work normally. Hit the power button again and LCD display turns off. All this seems normal except for the lack of the radio function. Radio/map light 7.5 amp fuse is OK. Have limited capability for trouble shooting out here at the camp ground but wondering if anyone might have a few ideas as what too look for?

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Lynn,

I know you have been around a while and I hesitate to mention it....but...Have you tried disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes to see if you can reboot the radio system?

Your symptoms seem similar to those that this works for, since you are not receiving the "NO RADIO" display when you turn the unit on.

HTH,

Ron

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,781 Posts
I agree with Ron lynn,

The radio could have gone into the "haywire" mode and a good hard reboot may be all it needs to clear it.

·
Premium Member
3,872 Posts
Zero your scope maybe? Sorry, couldn't resist.

I had the same issue with my 05 and, as suggested, I just unhooked the battery for a couple of hours and everything was fine. Good luck!

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,963 Posts
I have to agree with everyone else. A dead battery is not the same as no battery. More than likely the radio had just a little volts to it when the battery went dead

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ron, John, Jerry and Dave,
Thanks guys for offering your suggestion to "re-boot". That in fact did the trick. Got my tunes back and Mom can once again yell over the intercom for me to slow down.

And Ron, your right, I've been around awhile. What I mean by that is, I'm get'n old and while I have a great memory it seems to be getting shorter the older I get. So, with the frustration of having problems while away from home the obvious fix didn't even cross my mind. I therefore appreciate the kick in the pants and the reminder to try disconnecting the battery in order to reset the logic.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Great Lynn,

I know you are relieved now. Glad to be of help.

Ron

·
Registered
121 Posts
That worked for me, for a little bit. Then back to no right rear speaker. It will come on sometimes. But even when it is dead I can swap speakers and it works, so it is the cd player. I have been trying to find a place to rebuild it. No luck so far.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I saved this info from another similar post. I believe Becker is the OEM radio manufacturer, and they supposedly have a repair facility in New Jersey:

Becker's repair facility
650 East Crescent Ave, Upper Saddle River, New Jersey 07458 Phone: 201-961-1399 Fax: 201-327-2084

1 - 10 of 10 Posts