BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Yes, 14 mm.

It's an awkward plug to get a wrench onto. I put the 14 mm hex wrench in the plug, then use a 14 mm box wrench to turn it.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
pickerbiker said:
Yes, 14 mm.

It's an awkward plug to get a wrench onto. I put the 14 mm hex wrench in the plug, then use a 14 mm box wrench to turn it.
Unless your bike is 2004 or earlier, then it's just a matter of pulling the right pieces out. That hydraulic center stand, while convenient, can make doing a tranny oil change a bear.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Steve_R said:
Unless your bike is 2004 or earlier, then it's just a matter of pulling the right pieces out. That hydraulic center stand, while convenient, can make doing a tranny oil change a bear.
I changed the tranny fluid a couple weeks ago. While not quite as easy as the 2000 I had that had no skid plate, it was not much different. 2 small hex bolts on the sides of the skid plate frame and 2 8mm hex bolts at the rear of the frame and it was out of the way along with the H/E actuator. Worst thing was getting the lock-tite broken loose on the 8mm bolts. The drain is still in a bad place over the center supports. I still managed to spill a little of the oil as it slowed to a trickle. Newspaper all over the place keeps the oil off the garage floor. Good thing because I can easily create one mell of a hess! :D

·
Registered
519 Posts
Lee510 said:
I changed the tranny fluid a couple weeks ago. While not quite as easy as the 2000 I had that had no skid plate, it was not much different. 2 small hex bolts on the sides of the skid plate frame and 2 8mm hex bolts at the rear of the frame and it was out of the way along with the H/E actuator. Worst thing was getting the lock-tite broken loose on the 8mm bolts. The drain is still in a bad place over the center supports. I still managed to spill a little of the oil as it slowed to a trickle. Newspaper all over the place keeps the oil off the garage floor. Good thing because I can easily create one mell of a hess! :D
Lee510;

I just did mine last week, I have a 2005 and took the rear support bolts our ( support for the hydralic center stand) and the two small support botls on the front ( supported to the bottom of the motor) and slide the stand out of the way ( toward the front tire) which made it easier to get to exhaust support off, then the tranny plug was easy to get to.
I little more work but spillage was less and cleanup was shorter!!

Bowdon

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Here are a couple of pictures I took some years ago
when I did the transmission oil on my 2002,
for me it's always easier when I can see it so these might be of some help to you also.
Autozone sells a set of three Allen sockets for under $7,
I found it easier to push the Allen "stub" out of the socket and just use a box wrench.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
9/16" works AOK if you can't find the 14mm. I use one cut from a hex wrench and glued into a 3/8" drive 14mm socket dedicated for the job.

Loren

1 - 11 of 11 Posts