BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally found the time to install the throttle upgrade. Install seemed to go well until time to start up. Now she won't idle below 4000 rpm's. Took cables loose at the handle bars with no change in rpm's. Seeems to be an engine management problem. I have checked everything that I can think of with no changes. Any suggestions?
Thanks! John

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
I'm just surmising here. Loose, broken, unattached vacuum lines could cause a rise in idle- although a 3K+rpm rise is pretty substantial.

With some fuel injection systems if you start the bike with the throttle held open at all it will cause the ECU to reset the throttle position sensors and create quite a mess (electronic engine management-wise). Could be the cables were not set right on the initial startup and held the throttle open. (Starts from a dead stop shouldn't be any problem now, though. :D ) You could try resetting the ECU and see if that brings the idle back down or take it to a dealer and have it put on the MoDiTec to see what's going on.

I'm sure more knowledgable folks will chime in soon.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Matt,
I thought of a vacuum leak as well, but could not find anything there. I have even tried the ECM reset with no change. Hopefully, someone has seen this before. Thanks for the info!
John

·
Registered
818 Posts
johnjr128 said:
Well, I finally found the time to install the throttle upgrade. Install seemed to go well until time to start up. Now she won't idle below 4000 rpm's. Took cables loose at the handle bars with no change in rpm's. Seeems to be an engine management problem. I have checked everything that I can think of with no changes. Any suggestions?
Thanks! John
you could have a kink or tight radius bend that is preventing the a cable from allowing the TB to return to "home". I'd suggest pushing on the return cable or moving both cables around to see if you're hung up somewhere.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I am just wondering if maybe your throttle body pulleys are getting caught on anything. The airbox perhaps or maybe something else. I don't have anything other than vacuum or the airbox, but even with a vacuum leak the bike should try to get itself back down to an idle.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions. I am at the firehouse tonight, but I will tear it back down so I can get a better look at it this weekend. Hopefully, it's something simple.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
johnjr128 said:
Thanks! John
Did you adjust the throttle position sensor? If you disconnected the battery you need to do that for sure. I can't imagine that it won't hurt with new cables.

1. Disconnect battery...
  2. Reconnect battery
  3. Before starting the bike you will need to reset the throttle position sensor.
  4. Turn on the key but don't start.
  5. Fully open and close the throttle, repeat.
  6. Turn off the key.
  7. Restart as normal.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I believe that the cable, or even more likely an air-box clamp has gotten caught up on the throttle pully. You have to be very very careful when reassembling that beast (been there).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
More great suggestions. I will check on these and get back with you. Thanks, and keep em coming!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts