BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tommorrow (i.e. Friday), I'm stripping my new '05 LT down, so I can hopefully plug a cable in the back of the radio/cd (no multichanger), and install a jack socket in the 'oddment box' so I can plug my Sony 'pod lookalike into the sound system. I believe I've got to remove the indicator lenses, lower clear swivelly bits, top halves of the fairing and the 'stingray' bit. I've got an '02 manual on CD, but (apart from keeping track of where all the fasteners came from) is there anything untoward I need to take into account?

Thanks,

Wool.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Every time I'm working on something new, or for the first time...I get the digital camera and go nuts. I take pics of everything!!! It is just to easy to go back and look at the pics to see how the stuff goes back together. My camera also takes movies, so every now-and-again I'll even shoot a little clip with some narration. I don't do anything without my camera close by.

HTH

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
hey wool ... the best moto purchase i ever made was of the paul sayegh (spelling?) maintenance CDs. they make removing the tupperware really simple. and believe me ... if i can do it, YOU can do it.

·
Registered
275 Posts
What helps too, besides the other good info given, is to make sure that when you take of a piece of 'tupperware' to put the fasteners with that piece so you know what lenght screw goes with it. Lay all this out in a, for you, logical place in the order it was taken of the bike. This will aid in the 'recovery' phase of reassembly.

Just my 0.02 CTS

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
....Sorted - 2hours 15mins, no bits left over and I didn't even have to use my Irish Screwdriver, or no.1 key (aka 4lb mash hammer):D:D. I now have a 'flying' 3.5 mm stereo jack plug in the oddment box, which I can plug mp3 players etc. onto. The only fidly bit was taking off the radio cover, once the 'stingray' is detached, but not a major prob.

Once again, thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hey Woolly

Where exactly in the back of the radio did you connect the 3.5mm jack? I have my satellite radio plugged into the cassette tape player with one of those tape adapters and would like to get rid of it at some point. I have had the tupperware off so many times it's not funny but didn't know which wires to connect into.

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Ray,

on any '05 or earlier (but I'm not sure to which date), you have an option to have a CD multichanger - if you don't have this, there is an empty socket on the back of the radio/CD player that you can plug an 'aux input' into. The cable (and connector) costs less than 40 bucks, and the part no. is 82 11 0 149 389 (not available in the UK - only (for some reason) in the USA) - try Chicago BMW - thats where mine came from.

It works superbly.

·
Registered
99 Posts
great idea, Joe! My digital camera (Canon A75 Powershot) also takes movies and allows for closeups. Couple that with a huge mem card and I can take upwards of 500 pics!

That oughta be enough for me to tackle something like opening the tank bags!

Seriously tho--great tip--thanks much!
:thumb:

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
An idea for fasteners when pulling Tupperware or other 'massively fastened' bits

construction paper - one piece for each part removed. when you pull the fastener (bolt, screw) out, push it through the construction paper in the same relative posistion as when it's install.

So, start at the bottom left, pull the first fastener, push it into the construction paper in the bottom left corner. work clockwise around the part.

You don't even have to get the shape ritght on the paper, just the order. Start re-installation in the same place, follow the order - done.

Works every time - unless your 5 year old helps <g>

(I've seen some guys use egg cartons/trays similarly - just drop the screws into the cups in the right order.)

Here's an idea - someone make up some polyethelene sheets, say 1/8th or 1/16th scale of the tupperware parts. Shape 'em similarly to the tupperware - put holes in it for the fasteners. voila - instal sellable accessory for the 'Shade Tree' LT keeper :up:

·
Registered
749 Posts
Tate,

That is a fantastic idea! I have been using little plastic bowls for each set of fasteners with labels written on masking tape. Works great until you accidentally kick one over and the things fly everywhere.

·
IBR# 366
16,555 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Painters tape used around windows and doors works well also. Take the screw you just removed and tape it next to the hole it came out of. The tape is sticky enough to hold to the plastic but won't leave any residue behind when you put the screw back in. After you do it a couple of times you'll remember where they all go and won't need anything but your memory and your experience.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
My LT is Light Metallic Yellow..er gold and I used a small point marker to put 1 dot for 20mil, 2 dots for 15 mil and 1 dot for 12 mil. I also keep the posted HoW diagrams and lists handy. Just another reason to get the lighter color, fastest, for your scooter.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Something I do, when pulling something to pieces, is to put a blanket under where I am working, unless of course, it's an oil change.

Invariably, when something falls to the ground it bounces away into a hidden corner, never to be seen or found again.

A blanket solves this problem.

It doesn't solve the problem of having bits left over after putting everything back together again.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Wooly,
I know this has been mentioned before, but now that you have installed the cable, can you now control the volume (and other things ?) of your MP3 through the handle bar controls ?.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts