BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m stuck on a trip and need advice.

The bike: A 2018 K1600GTL I bought last Spring with about 800 miles on the clock, to which I added about 1500 miles with no issues.

13 days ago I started a 5500 mile 15 day 2-up trip around the most remote and challenging/fun roads I could find between St. Louis and Death Valley.

The first 4500 miles went without a hitch.

A couple of hours ago, while rolling through Corsicana TX, cruising at around 35mph, with no warning the motor suddenly lost power. It did not completely die, but seemed at a fast idle. Brake and clutch worked normal, but shift lever and throttle had no effect. I was able to coast to a safe stop. At many points in this ride coasting to a safe stop would not have been possible.

The attached photo shows an indicated engine fault. I believe (nearly but not completely positive) the general warning lamp was on solid rather than flashing, indicating it was not a “severe” engine fault.

Turning the bike off, it started up normally. A cautious cruise up and down the local roads produced no problems.

Because of the potential danger we opted to cautiously make our way 70 miles north to Plano and got a room near BMW of North Dallas (Plano) which opens at 10AM Tuesday.

I have urgent business to get home to, but not urgent enough to take stupid risks.

Looking for input on whether to hope this was an isolated incident and cruise home in the slow lane (with easy access to the breakdown shoulder just in case) or to wait for Plano BMW to open Tuesday and then fly home and come back to pick the bike up later.

What say you?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
From what you've described, it sounds like the engine went into "limp" mode. When an engine goes into "limp" mode, it's an indication there is a problem with the logic parameters set up by the computer operating system (i.e. a signal has fallen out of the spec established by BMW). I had a similar fault when riding down Mt. Evans in Colorado. I stopped, turned off the bike, restarted and it was fine for the remainder of a 3000 mile trip. For me, I'm guessing it had something to do with the altitude. I had it checked out by my dealer when I returned home and while the fault showed, they couldn't find anything wrong.

I'm guessing if it's running fine now, I wouldn't worry about it and just have it checked out when you return home. If the problem continues, it could be something as simple as a loose connection or something more complicated with the engine sensor signals being received by the operating system and it will require more diagnostics.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
...The bike: A 2018 K1600GTL I bought last Spring with about 800 miles on the clock, to which I added about 1500 miles with no issues.... with no warning the motor suddenly lost power. It did not completely die, but seemed at a fast idle. Brake and clutch worked normal, but shift lever and throttle had no effect. I was able to coast to a safe stop. At many points in this ride coasting to a safe stop would not have been possible...
I'd just ride it home, but keep good distance from anyone behind you. ;)
A little less facetiously, I'd say you don't want anyone close behind you at speed in case the problem recurs. From what I have read, riding it is not likely to damage the bike, you just have to ride safe. Be ready to pull in the clutch if the engine shuts down when you are at speed.

You are not the first to report the engine going into limp mode unexpectedly.

I came across this while researching GTL tranny recall, read sections about "engine, propulsion, etc."
https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2018/BMW/K1600B#complaints

Read the June 10, 2019 complaint.

From that complaint: Quote" DRIVING ON I10 IN NEW MEXICO AT 80MPH, FOLLOWED BY TWO SEMI TRUCKS MY BIKE SUDDENLY QUIT WITHOUT WARNING OR REASON, I CAME VERY CLOSE TO BEING RUN OVER BY THE TWO TRUCKS FOLLOWING ME.

DEALER CONTACTED BMW AND IT APPEARS THEY ARE AWARE OF THIS PROBLEM BUT NO RECALL HAS BEEN INDICATED.

APPARENTLY, ACCORDING TO BMW, THE ELECTRIC CONTACTS ON THE "FLY BY WIRE" SYSTEM ARE COATED WITH A RUST INHIBITOR COMMON IN ANY INDUSTRY. HOWEVER WITH THIS MOTORCYCLES ELECTRICAL SYSTEM IT OCCASIONALLY FAULTS THE SIGNAL FROM THE THROTTLE TO THE ON-BOARD COMPUTER RESULTING IN A MIXED SIGNAL THE COMPUTER CANNOT PROCESS THEREBY SHUTTING THE BIKES THROTTLE CONTROL OFF AND DEFAULTING INTO THE "LIMP MODE" WHICH ELIMINATES ANY THROTTLE CONTROL AND MAINTAINS THE RPM AT 2000 ENABLING THE BIKE TO LIMP TO THE NEAREST GARAGE.

I CASUALLY LOOKED INTO THIS ISSUE ONLINE AND FOUND FOUR OTHER COMPLAINTS ABOUT THIS PROBLEM, THEY WERE ALL 2018 K1600 MODELS." End Quote.

HTH

1 - 4 of 4 Posts