BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Final drive failure... does anyone have one for sale... i desperate... the closet dealer is 150 miles away

·
Registered
98 Posts
I ordered a final drive bearing from Chicago BMW a little over a week ago and they were supposed to get an order in about 5 days from the time I placed my order so they should have the parts you need. They are open until 6 today. Not sure how far away Chicago is but here is their number. 1-800-262-9150. The bearing and seal were under $100.00 after the discount. Good luck, wish I could help you out. This is the reason I placed my order, too many horror stories like yours so I am going to carry a spare from now on.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i was able to get a U-Haul and get the bike to Ginas BMW in Iowa city...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It’s a 99 K1200lt with 85K. I guess I can’t complain too much with the miles I have. She started acting up outside Joliet where I pulled over in Manooca to weigh my options. My only 2 options were to either spend the week at a hotel in Chicago and have Chicago BMW repair it or continue west and get it to Iowa where the folks are. So I headed west…. Once I got past Mooris she started into her 2nd stage of failure and when I got ½ mile from Marsailles is when the oil blew. I do want to say THANK YOU to Natural Born Bikers in Marsailles. They were very helpful in figuring out what I should do. I ended up finding a U-Haul In Dekalb (40 miles away) and someone was kind enough to give me a lift. So right now she is sitting at Ginas BMW in Iowa City waiting for Tuesday to open. I guess Ill be staying longer in Iowa then expected

·
Registered
171 Posts
I wish I had been awake and read this, we could have had Cliff (NBB) tow it to my house and you could have taken the final drive off mine.

Sorry to have missed you
and Natural Born Bikers is a great shop!

·
Registered
371 Posts
MarsEilles, marsAilles... Damn!

Iowa? I thought you meant France! I was envious as hell, even with the "stranded" bit, as I could think of worse places to be stranded than Marseilles (France). :D

Glad you got it worked out, anyway. I guess these things don't usually fail a block from home.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Steve... that was kind of you offer... Cliff was great.. he put the bike in his air conditioned garage while i was driven to dekalb. There an event going on there next saturday (Blue knights?).. if i get the bike back by friday i plan on stopping in on my way back home to CT on saturday

Darko... LOL... Marsaille Illinos is half way between nowhere...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Doios,

Glad you got to a shop. When I replied yesterday about Chicago BMW I didn't know you were heading west. I grew up in Iowa and get back there as often as I can. Watch out for them damn deer!! I go back every Dec and kill as many of them as I can. Sounds like the friendly midwesterners took care of you. Makes me laugh when I go back to my small farming community and everyone still waves when they meet in cages. Here in Texas they wave a lot too, just with the middle finger though. Eat a couple of the best tomatoes and ears of the best sweet corn in the world for me. I hear good things about Gina's so you are probably in good hands there.

Dave

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Dave, Im in Sigourney. My cousin grows tomatos for a living so ill be feasting on them, and the folks have a bag of sweet corn ready to steam. It sure is great to know there are some kind people who are willing to help when in need.

This is my 2nd ride out here this year.. the first trip i had to stop in fort wayne for a new fron tire after noticing a slice in the sidewall and when i got to iowa my brake lines failed and had to install some new spieglers now this!

Doug

·
Registered
171 Posts
doios said:
Steve... that was kind of you offer... Cliff was great.. he put the bike in his air conditioned garage while i was driven to dekalb. There an event going on there next saturday (Blue knights?).. if i get the bike back by friday i plan on stopping in on my way back home to CT on saturday

Darko... LOL... Marsaille Illinos is half way between nowhere...
If it works out for you let me know! Or when you come back through. Cliff throws a mean party!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
doios said:
will do... i will keep you posted
well ginas stated that if i wanted to get home by this week end i would be better off finding a replacement final drive so i got one off ebay and the bike will be ready for tomrrow. I will have the origional drive sent home for a spare $900 dollars later including a new tire

1 - 16 of 16 Posts