BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help does anybody know where i can buy smoke colored turn signal lenses for a 2000 LT A & S no longer stocks them . i found some on ebay from china but wow not real sure of quality and fit of those. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Keep in mind that the smoke lenses do not have built in reflectors. I recommend you line the blank compartment of the signal housing with white DOT C-2 reflective tape or SOLAS tape to provide some reflection.

You might also consider mounting some LEDs in that area and/or converting the turn signal to a combo running/turn lamp.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Yep, Tony's idea of putting lights inside is a good one.
Someone recently posted a link to his youtube video of him doing just that.
I think it was Westvandude or Westvanguy. :confused:

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Good catch, it was WVD.

EVen with the LEDs, reflective tape would be a big plus to redirect some more of the light from the LEDs out through the lens, as the LEDs are lensed and most of the light is directed out the tip.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
deputy5211 said:
Keep in mind that the smoke lenses do not have built in reflectors. I recommend you line the blank compartment of the signal housing with white DOT C-2 reflective tape or SOLAS tape to provide some reflection.

You might also consider mounting some LEDs in that area and/or converting the turn signal to a combo running/turn lamp.
yep thats what i had in mind just need to find the lenses now

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
seems like somebody always has them for sale on Ebay.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I bought the clear ones. They fit fairly well. I think I had to file a rough edge or some sort of miner adjustment. I also sprayed the inside of the lens with some frost effect paint so the bulb did not show up so much.

Attachments

·
Registered
401 Posts
Bought a set from eBay member "color_many_dot" and though they were obviously Chinese-made, they fit beautifully and were shipped immediately. I avoided the 'fried-egg effect' under the lens buy sourcing a set of 1156 amber bulbs with mirrored globes, which make them virtually invisible when not illuminated. The total effect is just as I had envisioned it, gets rid of that 'two slices of orange peel' look, and appears just right on the grey bodywork.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I used the silver coated amber 1157 bulbs (after changing sockets for running/turn conversion), but because the smoke lens tended to act as a filter, blocking some of the non-smoke-colored light from passing through, I found the amount of light coming out to be quite low. Others facing me or ahead of me told me it was difficult to see the signals, especially during daylight conditions.

So..... I switched to clear bulbs, still no fried egg look, and much higher running/turn signal visibility.

YMMV

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
deputy5211 said:
I used the silver coated amber 1157 bulbs (after changing sockets for running/turn conversion), but because the smoke lens tended to act as a filter, blocking some of the non-smoke-colored light from passing through, I found the amount of light coming out to be quite low. Others facing me or ahead of me told me it was difficult to see the signals, especially during daylight conditions.

So..... I switched to clear bulbs, still no fried egg look, and much higher running/turn signal visibility.

YMMV
Exactly.
So why go in the direction of smoke. If any the mod should be to enhance the light and thus improve visibility. I have seen some people use red tape or even a clear lens painted red as a repair for a busted tail light on their auto. But they are never the one driving behind themselves to see, not-see the visual impact in following. Help me here . . .
ride safe :bmw:

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
billsmith said:
Exactly.
So why go in the direction of smoke. If any the mod should be to enhance the light and thus improve visibility. I have seen some people use red tape or even a clear lens painted red as a repair for a busted tail light on their auto. But they are never the one driving behind themselves to see, not-see the visual impact in following. Help me here . . .
Hey Everybody, Bill needs some help. Somebody toss him a roll of that red tape! :D

·
Registered
401 Posts
Smoked lenses.....for styling',smiling', and profilin'! Yeah, baby!

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
billsmith said:
Exactly.
With the clear bulbs, I would say that they are at least as visible as the amber lenses. After I added refectorized tape, even more so.

That is why..... Plus, it looks better on my graphite-colored LT.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yep the smokes ones look awesome on my champagne colour bike. Just see my video. I also used the chromed amber 1156 bulbs. Quite bright I think.

They are a very light smoke tint, not really that dark so don't cut the light output much.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts