BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, I went on a 100 mile ride. On the way home I started smelling gasoline, made it home. When I stopped gas was leaking on right side.

Pulled side cover off and found that one of the quick connects from gas tank was leaking. I tugged on it and it broke apart (not disconnected but broke.) No big deal, I’ll just order a new one and fix it.

My question is, that right above and below the quick connect there is some type of retaining clamp that I will have to remove to get disconnects out. Do I need a special tool to remove them or will it become apparent how they come apart when I put pliers on it.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
those clamps should not be reused, just pry it open and pull it off, replace with something comprable

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
they are 'permanent'.. (one use).. so you'll need to carefully cut them with diagonal cutting pliers...or pry them so they "release"... replacement with the "factory" can be done if you have the tool which is a "special" pliers that engages the new clamp properly... might be able to do it with "duckbill" pliers if you are careful...

I prefer the "screw" type clamps.. easy roadside fixes.. these clamps tend to "eat" into the rubber of the hose. You can "eliminate" that with a small piece of aluminum for the clamp to "slide" on.. or a piece of wide wire tie nylon underneath..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts