BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me suggestions on opening a locked or-wont open top trunk on 2008 LT.
Need it open as plan on ride in AM or Tuesday to ride to Washington DC. :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
511 Posts
Is it not opening with the key fob or the key itself? If it is the key fob, there is a connection underneath the seat that could have worked itself loose.

Hope this helps,
Mugz

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
bquinn said:
Can anyone give me suggestions on opening a locked or-wont open top trunk on 2008 LT.
Need it open as plan on ride in AM or Tuesday to ride to Washington DC. :confused: :confused:
Put your key in the lock and turn cw 1/4 turn, then push. It should open (over-ride). Then pull up your rear seat to view the wiring going to the top case at the rear left. Mine had a wire than fell off. BTW, The lock over-ride trick works with all the locks.

·
Registered
876 Posts
If that doesn't work try putting the key in and turning 45 degrees (1/8 turn) clockwise then push the button in with the key in the lock, that's the manual overide technique.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,796 Posts
If the latch it opening but the trunk is not then on of the E clips has come off on of the pivot pins that operate the hooks that hold it closed. Try driving around on a bumpy road and try it again. Also try putting some down ward pressure on the lid while you rattle the latch. Both of these have been known to work. Once you get it open remove the liner and put the mechanism back together.

·
Registered
607 Posts
bquinn said:

Not opening how? More details please.

Good luck.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Do you hear any of the other locks clicking? If so, try this:

Sometimes my stringray compartment will not unlock. I learned that if I press the keyhole assembly while clicking the FOB to unlock, the key assembly will depress and un lock.

·
Registered
607 Posts
ridinredfox said:
Do you hear any of the other locks clicking? If so, try this:

Sometimes my stringray compartment will not unlock. I learned that if I press the keyhole assembly while clicking the FOB to unlock, the key assembly will depress and un lock.

Your symptom is usually caused by having too long of a screw holding your stingray on. This would be the screw on the left side of the stingray locking mechanism.

The longer screw is supposed to put pressure on the solenoid that activates the locking pin. The extra pressure prevents the solenoid from operating properly.

The suggested fix is to replace the erroneous longer screw with a shorter one.

I hope this works for you. I have only read about it.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
GlennM86 said:
Your symptom is usually caused by having too long of a screw holding your stingray on. This would be the screw on the left side of the stingray locking mechanism.

The longer screw is supposed to put pressure on the solenoid that activates the locking pin. The extra pressure prevents the solenoid from operating properly.

The suggested fix is to replace the erroneous longer screw with a shorter one.

I hope this works for you. I have only read about it.
I can confirm, from my personal experience several years ago, that the shorter screw usually solves the stingray unlocking problem.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread, HELP PLEASE LT trunk won't open, already in progress.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts