BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I did it again...I mean doing first and planning afterwards.:eek:

This time I was changing my Remus exhaust system to OEM for the Big Trip as listening to the Remus rumble for days and days gets to my nerves.
Now there is the famous O2 sensor attached in the exhaust pipe and I thought that this time I will not just twist and twist the sensor cables but instead I will install a quick connector in the cable to make the future exhaust change a bit easier and save the sensor cable from breaking.

So I pulled up the sensor wire sleeve a bit and OK, black and white cable visible. Let's get the pliers and cut the cable. Snap. After cutting I realised that there are FOUR cables leading to the sensor. One black, one gray (so far so good) and TWO white ones. I have a four pin connector to use in this project, so no problem there. But,... now I have the two white cables mixed. I mean I have not yet connected them or started the bike as there is 50% chance to get it the same way it was.

Now my question is:

Does anybody know if there is a problem in case the two white cables get mixed? I don't intend to strip the bike so much to get access to where the sensor cable actually hooks up. And if I did it would not help much as I could not tell which white is which...

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
If I was home I could check the electrical schematic to be sure, maybe someone else has one. Mark?

The two white wires are likely common, and can be switched with no problem.

A quick check of the schematic will tell for sure.

·
Registered
634 Posts
9 years later,
can we get an answer? :histerica

but seriously, is there a wiring diagram anywhere for the 02 sensor wires?

are the the 2 white wires common?

thanks. :wave

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
9 years later,
can we get an answer? :histerica

but seriously, is there a wiring diagram anywhere for the 02 sensor wires?

are the the 2 white wires common?

thanks. :wave
These BOSCH 4 wires Oxygen-sensor always have a heated element built into sensor.

All Bosch 4-wires oxygen sensors have a BLACK wire for the signal, a GRAY wire for ground and 2 WHITE wires for the heater.
pin 1: HEATER (White on sensor side) - Green/White on BMW harness side fed 12v by Fuel pump Relay, so bike must be running to test
pin 2: HEATER (White on sensor side)) - Green/Brown on BMW harness side to pin 25 of Motronic

pin 3: GROUND (Gray on sensor side) - Yellow on BMW harness side to pin 12 of Motronic (this wire is shielded)
pin 4: SIGNAL - Black on both sides to pin 11 of Motronic (this wire is shielded)

NOTE 1: It is NOT IMPORTANT to track either White color wires as it is just a heating element that will work either way.

NOTE 2: At rest, when cold, the resistance between the 2 wires of the heater element (White wires) should be between 2.5 To 4 Ohms – if infinite resistance is found, we can assume the heater will not work.

See attached document from BOSCH on page 5 for various OEM installation when using their UNIVERSAL SENSOR kit..

Attachments

Reactions: beech

·
Registered
634 Posts

NOTE 1: It is NOT IMPORTANT to track either White color wires as it is just a heating element that will work either way.

Thanks Sailor. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts