BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one had a problem with no power when you turn on key to start your motor? I turned key on to start and pushed button for starter and every thing when dead,checked battery and it was 12.7 volts.So I checked fuses and all were good.Notices a little spark when I was putting one of the fuses back in.
Everything was good after that motor started up. Someone told me the relay is bad.I could use some help here don't want to get stuck somewhere far away.

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
Hi Joe - Welcome to the LT world. I live in San Jose, as well, what part of town are you in?

What you're describing sounds like it could be a bad starter relay. The older ones were problematic in a few ways. San Jose BMW is a great shop (bought a bunch of bikes and get a lot of service done there), and they can help you out.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Make sure it is in neutral with the kickstand down...I have not experienced that problem in a very long time, but I vaugly remember my LT doing the same thing....hopefully it's just the starting procedure...

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
I think that the problem with the starter relay was that it would fuse engaged when the battery voltage was low. However the problem of it not turning over could be a bad starter relay as well.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
This may help.

Alarm off?????? and the engine cut off switch on the run position.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I had the same problem just a few months ago after a XM radio install. The voltage checked with my meter on the battery and all else to too. So i took the battery out and took it to Advance auto and they checked it. The problem was that with no drain on the battery (engine off) it was fine. But when tested under cranking power the battery was inadequate very low voltage. So AA charged it for me free of charge. Took the battery home installed it hit the switch and SMILED big she fired right up. So have your battery tested and charged fully and see if that helps. Note : my Battery is a BMW gel battery and I also have a new to me 2000LT.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,249 Posts
As you have discovered, the starter input is the ground for the load shed relay. This way while the starter is turning it removes most of the other electrical loads. A loose connection here will shut down everything but the engine - could get scarey on a dark night to have the headlights go out. Glad you found it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts