BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I managed to complete my CC50 and am headed home to Oregon via Texas to see my kids.
As I passed through Winslow AZ the bike died as if a switch was thrown. I was towed to motel six.
2000 k1200LT
Previous owner installed fuel filter remotely and bike has metal QD's.
No warning lights.
I bought meter, some wire and a stripper kit.
Bike cranks strongly.
I checked fuse #4.
Wind blowing like hell and noisey but I cannot tell if pump is priming.
I have almost full tank of fuel and with flashlight I cannot see ripples in the tank.
I have basic BMW tool kit.
Where do I start?
Be specific if you can.
I don't want to live here in Motel 6

Robert

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
I managed to complete my CC50 and am headed home to Oregon via Texas to see my kids.
As I passed through Winslow AZ the bike died as if a switch was thrown. I was towed to motel six.
2000 k1200LT
No warning lights.
Bike cranks strongly.
I checked fuse #4.
I have almost full tank of fuel and with flashlight I cannot see ripples in the tank.
Where do I start?
Be specific if you can.

Robert
This is a tough one Robert. There are not many things that would stop the bike in its tracks and still crank. Was there any noise indicating a mechanical failure? A recent bike had a cam gear dowel strip and it would not run. If there is an auto store close by, you can check a lot of things with a can of starting fluid sprayed into the breather end while cranking. If it starts, then it is likely fuel related and the rest of the bike is good. Then I would focus on the fuel pump and in tank lines even if you can't see much disturbance. Another recent issue was an internal collapse of an OEM pressure side fuel line blocking fuel flow. That was a first but it stopped the bike cold so now that we know about that possibility, it can happen again. Hopefully the wind will subside enough for you to hear the pump prime but the temp light is a good electrical indication that it should be working. After that, possibly a fuel pump relay or other relay. Are there any other issues?

Edit, another possibliity is water in the fuel and that would clog the fuel filter. How recently did you get fuel?

Second edit: The temp light should be on with kill in center, not in gear and side stand up. In gear it should extinguish when the side stand is lowered and come back on when raised. Likewise when the kill is left or right of center.

Good luck.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
with the meter I have verified 13.25 volts at both sides of fuse #4 with key off. I am seriously considering using the other connector near the QD's to power the pump with key on. This will tell me if the pump is good and should get me 100 miles safely home.

Other than the relay is there any of the safety interlocks that will stop the pump but allow it to crank? Really don't want to rent a Uhaul to get it home.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Second reply. Don't continue cranking if the battery starts to get low as you may fuse the starter relay unless it has been upgraded. the 2000 has the old style and is subject to that issue on a low battery.

Reactions: radar41

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
with the meter I have verified 13.25 volts at both sides of fuse #4 with key off. I am seriously considering using the other connector near the QD's to power the pump with key on. This will tell me if the pump is good and should get me 100 miles safely home.

Other than the relay is there any of the safety interlocks that will stop the pump but allow it to crank? Really don't want to rent a Uhaul to get it home.
The other connector is always hot and wired backwards to the fuel pump plug so you can't use if as is, the bike won't run with the pump running backwards.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I fueled in Holbrook, 32 miles.
where would I find the breather to try starting fluid. Bike has had cannisterectomy.
No mechanical noises. everything else seems to work.
I think I can get to filter relatively easily. That would also be a quick way to see if pump runs.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I realize connector is backwards. I could tap in there. I really hate to try taking this all apart in the dark in the parking lot. Battery is new and strong. I am aware of the low battery issue.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
The interlocks kill the emergency shutoff relay and that kills the fuel pump and also prevents cranking. If that is dead, the temp light would not be on and it would not crank.

The breather inlet is up under the front cowel on the right side. Leads to the air box.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so it sounds like.
pump relay or pump or plugged filter. If I disconnect filter which is on right side under rear seat I will know if pump runs. if it runs, replace filter. If no run hot wire it. That or about 900 bucks to get it home if I can find a way ti tie it down in a Uhaul.

·
Premium Member
7,546 Posts
2000 k1200LT
No warning lights.
Bike cranks strongly.
I checked fuse #4.
Where do I start?
Be specific if you can.

Robert
I am not sure how the previous owner configured the in tank hoses when moving to the external filter, but I would suspect a leak in a hose inside the tank. Also, I would return to the OEM filter location at my earliest opportunity. It is very hard for people to remotely help you troubleshoot a factory stock bike. Once significant configuration changes are made, remote troubleshooting is doubly difficult.

When my u-hose sprung a leak, the engine died pretty quickly and I was just idling along in my driveway. Fortunately, I knew what to check from following this forum and I diagnosed the problem before getting off the bike.

Gordon's method can quickly rule out ignition and serious mechanical problems, but be careful with the starting fluid. Too much can cause serious engine damage. Good luck getting it sorted. Being stranded sucks.

·
Registered
337 Posts
so it sounds like.
pump relay or pump or plugged filter. If I disconnect filter which is on right side under rear seat I will know if pump runs. if it runs, replace filter. If no run hot wire it. That or about 900 bucks to get it home if I can find a way ti tie it down in a Uhaul.

I would think it unlikely the fuel filter is plugged but I would check the lines inside the tank are connected properly and are tight as Gordon mentioned. Not sure what the previous owner used for clamps but the filter should not be able to turn on the line. Of course the filter has been installed in the right direction of flow, right?

HTH

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK.
Took it apart in the motel lot.
Fuel pump does not run.
When key is turned on I have 13+ volts at the fuel pump connector for about 1 second.
When I crank the voltage returns.
No sound from the fuel pump.
I don't suppose there is a substitute fuel pump available that can go in the tank?

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
OK.
Took it apart in the motel lot.
Fuel pump does not run.
When key is turned on I have 13+ volts at the fuel pump connector for about 1 second.
When I crank the voltage returns.
No sound from the fuel pump.
I don't suppose there is a substitute fuel pump available that can go in the tank?
I can't say that there isn't but have not seen a reference to any that can be used.
I do see this on Amazon with a want it tomorrow and 2 in stock. If you have another day to burn and an amazon account, you might be able to have it dropped to the hotel address if you hurry.

https://www.amazon.com/HFP-439B-BMW-R1100-1992-Motorbike/dp/B00RW62FLM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1524232943&sr=8-2&keywords=2001+bmw+k1200lt+fuel+pump

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just talked to Quantum and they have pumps in stock for $70 and can have it here tomorrow for another 60. I guess I can siphon the gas out into a gas can and have the tank out waiting. Seems doable.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
I just talked to Quantum and they have pumps in stock for $70 and can have it here tomorrow for another 60. I guess I can siphon the gas out into a gas can and have the tank out waiting. Seems doable.
You should be able to pull the tank and lay it over on its side to remove the lock ring without draining it. That approach may depend on just how much fuel is in it and you said pretty full. With the right side bumper rail removed, you should be able to get the pump assembly out without pulling the tank but you need to get most of the fuel out to do it that way. I have not tried the second method yet.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Anything special I need to know about taking the pump out of the tank?
I have had the tank off the bike before so that is no issue, just a lot of work in the parking lot. I will siphon gas out first and see what happens.
in 55 years or riding I have only been stranded by one other bike and that was a Buell which is basically a Harley.
Funny because the tow truck driver said he tows a lot of Harleys.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OH MAN. I will check it out and if I can drain the tank and pull the pump out the bottom that will be much easier.

Right now I think I will be "Standing on a corner in Winslow, Arizona" looking for that fine sight to see.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
OH MAN. I will check it out and if I can drain the tank and pull the pump out the bottom that will be much easier.

Right now I think I will be "Standing on a corner in Winslow, Arizona" looking for that fine sight to see.
Yes, much easier but still might make some mess but by the time you get it back together, I would think that most of the spilled remaining fuel would have evaporated. Just make sure none is pooled on the top of the engine :)

·
Registered
4,263 Posts

It's a girl my Lord in a Fed-Ex panel truck slowin down to drop a pump on me! >:)

Reactions: ibbones and Whiskey
1 - 20 of 36 Posts