BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the pivot pins for the windshield mechanism has fallen out. Apparently you cannot buy just the pivot pin, you need to buy the whole mechanism at $500 !! Crazy!! Does anyone have or know where I can get this pin? Thanks.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried that, no luck.

·
Registered
284 Posts
a possible place

try fred rowland at cycle salvage at 828-433-1067
he's in morganton, NC

i know he has some k1200 parts

·
Registered
675 Posts
If all else fails, pop out one of the other pins and take it to a machine shop for duplication. Troublesome but a whole lot less painfull than $500.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Pivot Pin Windshield Motor

I have my windshield mechanism in my hand and am looking at it to determine which pin you want. There is one pin looks like stainless about 17.2 mm long and head is 10.8 mm diameter and uses a c-clip for retention. Is that the one you need?

Mirage

·
Registered
8 Posts
Windshield lift arm

I saw the posts to Bruce N. about the pin and c clip. I broke the lower lift arm on right side of the windshield on my 06 K1200LT and can not find a replacement part anywhere. It is like Bruce said, you have to buy the entire module for $550.00. No way. If you can help me locate one I would sure appreciate it. I am sure the arm from an 04 or 05 would work. I have tried numerous salvage and recycle shops but no luck. If someone wanted to offer to have one made at machine shop using your arm as a template, I would gladly pay for your trouble. E-mail me if you have a solution.

Thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
If you haven't tried Fred yet, do so.

www.cyclesrecycled.com

I was by his house yesterday and he has a couple of LT's not parted out at all yet.

If he cannot help you PM me, I took off a broken assembly off my bike, and may be able to help.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
It's just a pin right ?

Surely you can find another pin at some kind or hareware outlet..
Or make one yourself out of a bolt. All you have to do is cut the slot for the circlip.

Put the "generic" bolt or pin into your electric drill or drill press would be better.
Sand bag the drill down to your workbench or lock it in your vise or something to get the drill where it wont move... Then turn the bolt as slow as the drill will run.

Use a dremel tool with the fine cutting disk. (the kind that break easily), to cut the slot for the circlip.

Ghetto Machine Shop.:D

John...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Pin

I can sympathize as I paid $547.00 plus shipping for the privledge of replacing my windshield motor assy on my 2000.

Mirage

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I called Fred at Cycle Salvage. He was away from the shop, but thinks he has a few wrecked LT's. He said to call back in the AM and see if he could hook me up.

Mirage- Yes, that would be the part. Crazy to have to buy the whole mechanism for one little pin. How the c-clip came off is a mystery. Maybe the up and down of the windshield put pressure on it and it broke. Seems unlikely though.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Bruce_N said:
One of the pivot pins for the windshield mechanism has fallen out. Apparently you cannot buy just the pivot pin, you need to buy the whole mechanism at $500 !! Crazy!! Does anyone have or know where I can get this pin? Thanks.
Take the assembly to a hardware store and if they don't have another pin in stall the correct size bolt with a self locking nut, do not tighten the nut down snug against frame. My windshild adjuster arms were ripped out of the frame in my wreck, with some southern ingenuity and a plastic welder my windshield adjuster mech. is stronger than new, I have pictures.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts