BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an RT that I love. I have a K1600GT on order. As much as I like the bike, it doesn't make sense with both of these bikes.

I also have a HD FXR2 that I am going to sell. I want to have a second bike (since I got no flak from the wife).

I was thinking about a GS or GSA for the second bike. Does this make sense. I test rode yesterday a Ducati Multi Strada and the Diavel. Loss of power but not for me. Anyone have any comments or suggestions?

Thanks,
Ken

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Re: Help with me with my decision

The R and the K are very different bikes to me.
Keep the R and let time help you with a decision.......if any.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts

interesting question.

I had 3 bikes in the stable once, not too long ago. I finally pulled my head out from under the covers and realized I had three bikes all oriented toward sport touring. I sold two and got the fun older Triumph. I love both bikes and enjoy the way the Triumph is so different from the RT.

None of this is intended to address your combination, but only to say I learned (discovered?) that I really like the contrast between the two.

I hear that many people like the way the GS rides and the style but very few appreciate it for its off road capabilities.

So maybe the answer lies with what you like to do...

·
Registered
20 Posts

Hey Ken,
I'm with bikes for 2 decades now days. I own a R1200RT and rode also the K1600GT. The style, features & comfortable are pretty much the same only the GT has a great engine power which to my opinion the RT lucks. So if you stay with those 2 you actually end up with 2 X touring bikes. If I had the budget I would sell my own RT and order the 1600GT and cover my on-road adrenaline combined with comfort power and luxury as only BMW can provide. If you want a bit of off-road - the GS is a remarkable state of the art machine. Our local BMW dealer here has not less than 5 off-road Japanese bikes 2d hand for sale from people who actually threw them away & bought the GS.
Many other bike manufactures are trying to imitate the real thing - BMW it is!! Dont think of anything else, definitely not Italian - you will be very disappointed after already tasting the BMW.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

The K1600 is a definite. I test rode if for about 45 minutes last week. It is really impressive. I just think the RT and this K bike are too similar in that they are both touring bikes. It would seem to me that the RT wouldn't be getting out of the garage.

I do love the RT and after test riding the GSA, it put the same smile on my face. It has similarities but at the same time they are different. Actually I like the fact that I can actually get some air on my body with the GSA. :)

I rode yesterday the two Duc's mentioned above, Two Kaw's and one Triumph, and nothing came close to the Gs's.
I guess why I am still pondering this is because I don't see myself going off road. Does this really matter though? Oth, maybe I would look into in now that I have capability.
Ken

·
Registered
36 Posts

I just test rode a new RT and a GS a week ago. That would be a nice duo to own, the best of both worlds. Not sure I'd want two bikes with the identical engine though. Certainly nothing against the 1200 Boxer, it's a great engine. I'd just want something that is gut bustingly fast to park along side of the RT in my garage. Maybe you'd get that out of the K though, so the K and the GS together could be on your short list?

I've got a Road King, which I'll be soon replacing with an RT. I've also got a V-Rod, which I'll be hanging on to. I'd love to have a dual sport, but I don't trust myself with a $20K offroad machine; that's all sorts of trouble waiting to happen.

·
Registered
89 Posts

For budget reasons i have been considering a buell ulysses or suzuki vstrom as budget dual sport options -- around $5000 used. Fun to ride and reportedly reliable.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I bought the GS Adventure today after taking it out three separate times. The RT and HD will be gone. The Adventure will have the garage to itself until the K1600GT finally gets its butt over here.
Ken

·
Registered
36 Posts

ken6217 said:
I bought the GS Adventure today after taking it out three separate times. The RT and HD will be gone. The Adventure will have the garage to itself until the K1600GT finally gets its butt over here.
Ken
Nice. Have fun!

·
Registered
1,229 Posts

ken6217 said:
Ken
I am jealous......... :D

·
Registered
66 Posts

I'm in the same boat with a GTL on order ... Still not 100% sure of what I'll do, but I do know there's not going to be an RT and a GTL in the stable they're just too similar. Right now I'm still too impressed with the RT, and while the power is a little on the lean side imho it's still tops in the place I hate most sport tourers ... < 10mph.

Until I blink and change preferences again, if I could I'd have a three bike stable...

1. Touring - The RT or the GT/GTL
2. Cruising - A HD or a Diavel (I just really like how the carbon looks)
3. Beater - Not sure what ... maybe a little 650, or something I wouldn't cry over getting filthy or dropping.

Potential: 4. Rocket - A tough choice since I don't like the sport riding position but I'd make it work!

·
Registered
121 Posts

I had a perfectly new street glide when I bought my RT. After about six weeks, realizing I'd never ride the street glide, I sold it. But as much as I love my RT, I also missed having something "retro" in my garage so I just bought a new Bonneville T100 to add to the RT. I got it just to ride around town, maybe commute to work, and just look at! Long rides are reserved for the RT. This past weekend I helped out at the local BMW/Triumph/Ducati dealership. They had an open house and I helped with the demo rides. For each ride I got to try a different bike. I have to tell you that when I got on my bike to come home (the RT), I had a huge smile on my face. I wouldn't trade that bike for anything (although I haven't ridden the 1600). Of course I do have the bike set up just for me (risers, Russell seat, etc). For now, I'm happy with my combination of the RT and the T100. Two very different bikes for very different purposes.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

sgl0226 said:
I had a perfectly new street glide when I bought my RT. After about six weeks, realizing I'd never ride the street glide, I sold it. But as much as I love my RT, I also missed having something "retro" in my garage so I just bought a new Bonneville T100 to add to the RT. I got it just to ride around town, maybe commute to work, and just look at! Long rides are reserved for the RT. This past weekend I helped out at the local BMW/Triumph/Ducati dealership. They had an open house and I helped with the demo rides. For each ride I got to try a different bike. I have to tell you that when I got on my bike to come home (the RT), I had a huge smile on my face. I wouldn't trade that bike for anything (although I haven't ridden the 1600). Of course I do have the bike set up just for me (risers, Russell seat, etc). For now, I'm happy with my combination of the RT and the T100. Two very different bikes for very different purposes.
I know what you mean about the RT. It's just that the GTL is a definite as I ordered it back in January. Having this and the RT doesn't make sense. I found that going to the GSA made the bikes different enough but at the same time I get to have the RT's sister. Not really the pretty one though. :D

I did find that when I tested the GS, it handled exactly like the RT. I picked the GSA though because it was so solid on the highway and the wind protection was unexpectedly good.
Ken

·
Registered
52 Posts
it's the GS/RT dilemma i am faced with. have owned the GS and my only real gripe about it was its largeness when dealing with parking and the like. my Stelvio is actually much heavier than the GS but it carries its weight a bit differently. the RT, from what i have read, seems like the better road bike but i suppose that is up for debate. the more all-around comfortable between the two? i guess one could argue that all day long too. i do prefer the simplicity of the GS (no fairings) and maybe even the looks. at any rate, i'll continue to read more about the RT to help me along.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
I think that you will find that the RT is just as difficult as the GS in a parking lot! A friend of mine just bought a 2011 R1200R Classic which would be worth your taking a look at. If you want strictly a road bike and don't want to deal with the tupperware I'd suggest that you go with the 1200R or 1200R Classic. That's why my friend did!

Regards,

·
Registered
3 Posts
After 22 years on a Harley, I said thats enough. Picking up my new RT tomorrow. Each year I expected to see something new from Harley. Something new or innovative, key fob to lock saddlebags and tour pak, or SOMETHING. I have never been so glad for a change.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
fjr1300 said:
After 22 years on a Harley, I said thats enough. Picking up my new RT tomorrow. Each year I expected to see something new from Harley. Something new or innovative, key fob to lock saddlebags and tour pak, or SOMETHING. I have never been so glad for a change.
Since I got my RT last September I have probably put maybe 150 miles on the Harley! I took it out last weekend simply because I felt it needed to be run...not that I really wanted to ride it. My latest opinion is that Harleys are all about "style and image". I don't fit the image of 90% of the HD riders either. Getting the RT has made riding exciting again and I will most likely get rid of the old Harley even though it's been good to me. Just not my thing anymore! As someone on this forum mentioned: "Harleys are the best 1940s technology that you can over pay for"!

·
Registered
38 Posts
What a great delima....I just bought an RT and have a victory vision for sale and own a V-Strom 650....the Vstrom I will always keep...it just that good and fun.

I think an adventurer tourer type would complement a touring bike quite well.

Rob Ray

1 - 20 of 21 Posts