BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my Garmin today and tapped power from the map light. I used the power from the top wire that operates the light continuously, not the dimming wire. I tested the GPS and it worked. Buttoned things up and then, no map light and no power to GPS. Took it all apart again, verified connections. Nothing loose or out of place. The trunk vanity light quit too. Only the dimming part of the map light works when the key is turned off. Help. I couldn't have blown a fuse, or the map light would have quit altogether, right? Please help; I leave on my trip in four days. You can't imagine my frustration after working on this all day!
 

·
Registered
1999 LTC
Joined
·
14,458 Posts
neodoc said:
I installed my Garmin today and tapped power from the map light. I used the power from the top wire that operates the light continuously, not the dimming wire. I tested the GPS and it worked. Buttoned things up and then, no map light and no power to GPS. Took it all apart again, verified connections. Nothing loose or out of place. The trunk vanity light quit too. Only the dimming part of the map light works when the key is turned off. Help. I couldn't have blown a fuse, or the map light would have quit altogether, right? Please help; I leave on my trip in four days. You can't imagine my frustration after working on this all day!
Joe - does your radio work? I'm not positive about the fuse dedications on the '05 LTs, butt on my '99, the bottom fuse in the middle fuse box (under the passenger seat, butt reachable by lifting the rider's seat) runs the radio, the reading lamp (map light) and the interior light in the top box (vanity light). HTH.
 

·
Senior Member (ret.)
Joined
·
10,857 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I used piggyback connectors (courtesy of Larry Schumer) and used the brown wire on the light as ground. Radio is dead too. Now I'm sure it must be a fuse. Could it be that the GPS draws more power than this circuit is designed for? Should I just tap directly into the battery?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Raffy:

There are three wires. I used the one that stays on all the time, instead of the dimming one. I'll check the fuse, replace it and try again with the seat heater power source. It seems that the GPS draws too much current from that circuit. Thanks for your help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,610 Posts
neodoc said:
I installed my Garmin today and tapped power from the map light. I used the power from the top wire that operates the light continuously, not the dimming wire. I tested the GPS and it worked. Buttoned things up and then, no map light and no power to GPS. Took it all apart again, verified connections. Nothing loose or out of place. The trunk vanity light quit too. Only the dimming part of the map light works when the key is turned off. Help. I couldn't have blown a fuse, or the map light would have quit altogether, right? Please help; I leave on my trip in four days. You can't imagine my frustration after working on this all day!

Hi Joe ,
you must have blown fuse nr 4 in your fuse box nr 1 ( I guess it is the one on the outer side of the bike under the pillion seat.) The fuse is 7,5 A and at first I would change it to 10 A and see if it holds with the GPS. Don't go any higher amps with the fuse if it still blows.
(I still don't think the GPS draws that much amps in the first place.)

In 05 bikes there should be a dedicated GPS power feed socket which is hidden behind the three sockets that connect the radio stingray to the bike. (on the left side ride under the radio stingray.) In order to get access to this you have to strip both side panels and also the radio stingray. And still you have to look quite carefully unless you want to remove the dash panel as well...

If you don't succeed with this route you have to pull the power from the pillion seat heater and don't forget to put an inline fuse in the wire. Another way is to take the power directly from the battery, but that will create the risk of draining your battery when you forget to switch off the GPS.

Good luck

Regards
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you to all who have so quickly responded to my S.O.S.. I have to go round at the hospital this morning, but when I return, I'll see about making the necessary changes to get the project completed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
401 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out why you wouldn't wire the GPS directly to the battery. I prefer mine to be live at all times as many times I stop to refuel and don't want to interrupt my track. I also find it nice to be able to stop, shut off the engine and study the GPS without having to turn the key on. The two items I wired direct to the battery are the GPS and Autocom. This way I can stop, navigate and communicate with the key off. JMTC Oh, don't forget toturn this stuff off when you stop for the night! I also can't figure out why you would want the GPS on the handlebar where you have to look off to the side to see it. I mounted mine on top of the radio as I figured if that was good enough for BMW, it had to be good enough for me. I find I can still keep and eye on the road while the other is on the GPS. You'll be surprised at how much you will use it in strange territory. Again Just My Two Cents worth.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Offwego said:
I'm still trying to figure out why you wouldn't wire the GPS directly to the battery. I prefer mine to be live at all times as many times I stop to refuel and don't want to interrupt my track. I also find it nice to be able to stop, shut off the engine and study the GPS without having to turn the key on. The two items I wired direct to the battery are the GPS and Autocom. This way I can stop, navigate and communicate with the key off. JMTC Oh, don't forget toturn this stuff off when you stop for the night! I also can't figure out why you would want the GPS on the handlebar where you have to look off to the side to see it. I mounted mine on top of the radio as I figured if that was good enough for BMW, it had to be good enough for me. I find I can still keep and eye on the road while the other is on the GPS. You'll be surprised at how much you will use it in strange territory. Again Just My Two Cents worth.
Hi, Craig:

I wired the GPS to the map light because I already had too many things wired directly to the battery, namely PIAA lights, CB, Stebel Naultilus horn, Ducatti Designs headlight and my LEDs. It's not a rat's nest under the seat, as everything is neatly tiewrapped and easily identifiable, but, nevertheless, it was a bit much to put one more connector on the battery post. I'll eventually get a fuse box and re-do everything, but not right now. As far as the GPS, I didn't want to look down to see it. I'd have to move my whole head at times if I'm wearing my Nolan N102, instead of the N41, so I got a 5 in. RAM mount and put it on the right handlebar (the left has the CB). Since the arm is long, I have it close enough that my eyes travel less than when I look in the mirror, which, BTW, is not obstructed. This works for me. In addition, I used the wire that is always on, so I too can use the GPS without turning the key on. My CB/Intercom is like this as well. I appreciate your suggestions, and I'm happy to report that the GPS is working fine and the fuse is intact. I replaced it and went back over all the connections and came to the conclusion that I must have touched the connection on the light with the screwdriver as I was putting the dash cover screw back on. Those have been secured and further insulated so I think I'm good to go. My only regret is not having enough time to figure out how to install the integration unit on my CB so I can hear the GPS voice prompts/mp3 player through the headsets. Oh well, that will be another project.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
401 Posts
Good deal!

As long as you got it to work, then that's a good deal! Hope you enjoy your summer fun to the North. Ride carefully. I guess you'll be trailering up? When you get back, count me in on your "Tech Session" Change the Salsa music to just Salsa and chips!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Offwego said:
As long as you got it to work, then that's a good deal! Hope you enjoy your summer fun to the North. Ride carefully. I guess you'll be trailering up? When you get back, count me in on your "Tech Session" Change the Salsa music to just Salsa and chips!
Yes, I am trailering up to Sanford, FL, where we will be catching the AmTrak Auto Train to Lofton, VA, where we'll off load. There will be 12 bikes in all and the "support vehicle" (my truck and its trailer pictured in the gallery.) I'm taking my parents along and they'll be driving the truck. If I need to, I can always put the bike up and drive for a while. Best of both worlds, I think. We'll be going to NYC, Lake George, Niagara Falls, and eventually back down to DC. Should be nice. I'll let you know. As far as the Tech Session, salsa and chips it is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
237 Posts
Sounds like a great trip Joe. Tell your parents Stephanie and I said hello. I did'nt see you on the CCR attendee list so I assume you can't make it. Have a great time take lots of pics.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top