BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I've searched and read the past posts and FAQs. This still leaves a lot of confusion in my mind.

My bike came with the CD changer radio, no intercom.

Let me start out by saying that my priorities are:

Able to use the iPhone for calls while riding. (Spare the lecture if you think this is stupid/dangerous.)
Listen to MP3-based media, mostly podcasts, from my iPhone preferably.
Talk to passenger.

I think I prefer wired over wireless systems. I give no value to being wireless, and I think it will annoy me to have to charge the system. I commonly spend an entire day running around visiting customers and I want the thing to just work all day. If I do a long ride, I nearly always stay on it for 10-14 hours.

I *really* like the handlebar controls on the bike. So being able to use those would be nice. I like the speed-based volume.

The iPhone has a capacitive touchscreen, not a pressure screen, so use with gloves is impossible unless I mod all my gloves with conductive thread/pads. So voice control or control from the bike controls would be needed I think.

I have a Schuberth helmet and will always ride with a flip-up, so my headsets need to be compatible with that. Pillion will likely use a regular full-face, but not sure yet.

I've had Autocom and J&M in the past, I like both, no preference there. I prefer more expensive over one with crappier sound or functionality. I will use this a lot, so quality is important. At this point forget cost as being a limitation, though if one costs half and is just as good, obviously I'd want to know. I am always willing to pay for top convenience too, something I just never need to mess with.

Please help me work through this decision, since I know very little about the BMW-branded intercom system, and how I'd interface a phone to that, etc. My last Autocom system (which I still have the brain for) was purchased in 2001, so that's ancient tech I'm sure.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Still happy with my wired Autocom setup, 2nd one I've owned (about 3 years old now) and it performs pretty flawlessly.
Iphone auto-answers with the Autocom bluetooth module attachment, both myself and passenger can hear & speak to the person who called, which can be handy.
Can play back media from the iphone, but I normally just use the radio (or CD's). Guess I'd go for a Dice unit if I were going to upgrade and then buy a separate Ipod. I like having the phone in my pocket just in case the bike and I get separated unintentionally.
The newer Autocom models have even more gadget options now...
If figure if I ever have to make a call, best to pull over somewhere anyway.
cheers

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You say it "auto-answers." Do you mean you turned on the auto-answer on the phone, or you're able to do something on the Autocom unit to tell it to answer? I don't answer all calls when I'm riding, only something particularly important. Have you tried using the voice dial to make outgoing calls?

I prefer to keep the phone on the bike, I figure if we become separated, I'm going to destroy anything that's in my pocket. Plus I like charging it while driving. So I'm assuming I'd not need the BT unit, just plug the phone directly into the Autocom?

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
calvarez said:
You say it "auto-answers." Do you mean you turned on the auto-answer on the phone, or you're able to do something on the Autocom unit to tell it to answer?
The Iphone is "paired" to the Autocom bluetooth attachment, which itself is connected to one of the ports on the Autocom unit, and it just answers automagically after about 2 rings. I guess this is just the same as the little bluetooth ear attachments like "Blueant" work, except its plugged into the comms. Because the phone is in my pocket, I can't see who's calling or hangup... but its usually only family or someone from work that calls anyway.

calvarez said:
I don't answer all calls when I'm riding, only something particularly important. Have you tried using the voice dial to make outgoing calls?
I've got a 3G Iphone, there's a voice dial app but you have to select and activate it first, so that's out of the question unless the phone is mounted in the open.

calvarez said:
I prefer to keep the phone on the bike, I figure if we become separated, I'm going to destroy anything that's in my pocket. Plus I like charging it while driving. So I'm assuming I'd not need the BT unit, just plug the phone directly into the Autocom?
Yeah, you can do that, but there might be an issue with controlling the volume... that's where the DICE unit comes in handy, according to reports from guys that have it installed. Uses the bike's controls... Do a search on DICE... there's plenty of threads.
cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts