BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for a way to install the Flash2Pass unit and I must tap into the high beam wire and cannot see it. In fact, I cannot see any headlight wires at all at the back of the housing.. I hoped not to have to remove all the tupperware but do not know any way without it. Does anyone have any words of wisdom to offer a "lazy" LT owner that would help?

And yes, I know Loren would love to work out the bugs by installing it on his bike!

I also found a tiny lightbulb installed up into the housing from the bottom left. It is lit any time the lights are on. Any idea what it is for?

Thanks
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,879 Posts
lkniess said:
I also found a tiny lightbulb installed up into the housing from the bottom left. It is lit any time the lights are on. Any idea what it is for?

Thanks
The tiny light comes on when you turn the key one notch too far (I think it's a beside the road parking light) and let you know the strength of the battery.

Strong battery and it's on when you get back. Weak battery and the light is off and your battery is dead when you get back!

ask me how I know and the strength of my ex-battery....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,080 Posts
I did a flash to pass on my 2009 as soon as I got the bike,

I recall it was heck to get to the correct wires with the tupperware on.

I recall I just had to feel around the locate the right positive wire and vampire tapped into it

I love my flash to pass!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,080 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Installed Flash2Pass

I stopped by Tigard BMW today for the unveiling of the new F800R and talked with the service folks about the install. It was actually very simple with no tupperware needing to be removed. All I had to do was remove the headlight housing back plate and tap into the white and brown wires. Put plate back, Zip tie the transmitter up inside and it was done. Very simple and works like a charm.

Thanks for your replies.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,080 Posts
Re: Installed Flash2Pass

lkniess said:
I stopped by Tigard BMW today for the unveiling of the new F800R and talked with the service folks about the install. It was actually very simple with no tupperware needing to be removed. All I had to do was remove the headlight housing back plate and tap into the white and brown wires. Put plate back, Zip tie the transmitter up inside and it was done. Very simple and works like a charm.

Thanks for your replies.
Exactly,

I placed my reciever near the entrance to the garage next to the garage door.

That way I had a button to push on the way out if I ever needed one.

I left the old garage door button where it was at the entrance to the house from the garage so I now have TWO buttons to open and close the garage.

Ain't I all that and special!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,879 Posts
My F2P (Flash to Pass) seems to be working intermittently. Sometimes when I flash my high beam 2 times, the door only opens about a foot. Sometimes nothing happens. Once in a while, the door opens correctly.

Is there a special rhythm, I.E. hit the high beam 2 times quickly, slowly, hold it down?

It was not hard to install, and once in a while, it seems to work correctly. I just doesen't seem to be consistant. It's installed on my K1600GTL and the bike must be running for it to work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,285 Posts
I don't get it.

Why spend $80.00 (plus $10.00 shipping) for a garage door opener? :confused:

The extra key chain remote I bought cost $13.00 and has lithium batteries that last *forever*. It opens the door every time - and turns on both the garage door opener and interior lights on as well. It resides under the clear vinyl window of my tank bag. It took 5 seconds to install...

Yeah, I actually have to take my left hand off the grip and press a button... :cool:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,879 Posts
RonKMiller said:
I don't get it.

Why spend $80.00 (plus $10.00 shipping) for a garage door opener? :confused:

The extra key chain remote I bought cost $13.00 and has lithium batteries that last *forever*. It opens the door every time - and turns on both the garage door opener and interior lights on as well. It resides under the clear vinyl window of my tank bag. It took 5 seconds to install...

Yeah, I actually have to take my left hand off the grip and press a button... :cool:
Thanks for answering my question..... Oh and it wasn't $80.00 + shipping! Quite a bit less..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Dano if you have an older garage opener you may have to add a tranfomer for power to your reciever. I used an old telephone unit , the flash to pass web site will walk you through the set, I did this and it works great. Ron
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,879 Posts
Thanks Ron,

I spoke to the people at F2P and they thought the same and sent me a 12 volt power supply that plugs into the F2P Unit that wires into the actual garage door opener. It did not make any difference. They think it might be my Genie remote control that is about 10 years old! Said that they sometimes have problems with them.

Still intermittent though. Sometimes I just flash my high beam one time and the door opens. Sometimes the door only goes up a foot. Sometime nothing.

They are sending me a complete new unit to give it another try. Hasn't arrived yet. The door worked fine this afternoon with one flash of the high beam, but it's still intermittent.

Strange!
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top