BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new Chicane Canyon EX bag for my LT. The loop that is supposed to go around the latch on the radio cover is either too small or the material is too thick. No way can I get the cover to close with the Chicane bag attached. On the other hand, the loop on my little BMW LT tankbag allows me to close the cover with no problem whatsoever. Has anyone else had this problem, and what fix did you come up with? I emailed Chicane but got no response.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I have the same problem. I dremeled a bit of material off the lid where the loop goes. It helped a bit, but it is still a pain in the @$$ to close the lid. I’ve found that it helps to expand the bag and putting my hand inside, push it forward while pressing down. It gives the loop a bit more play as the lid shuts. I hope in time the loop will become more flexible and make it easier to close the lid.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,899 Posts
Ditto what Hans said. Also the pin on the lid is ever so slightly adjustable. I loosend the screw and moved it out (down?) and then tightened it back up. That seemed to help.

I did not do the full velcro across the front and the two little pieces always peel up so I think I will re-do it with the full strip across like in the photo that Joe posted the link.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Impatient in Cleveland...

I filed off little half moons next to the latch, but that didn't help. I might be a little more patient with this bag, but I find the map pocket useless (for holding anything in larger than a postcard), and when you put the raincover on it covers up the darned thing. This is one point where the little BMW bag has it over on everyone else as far as I can tell - their raincover has a clear top so you can continue to see the map in the rain.

Anyone know of a 3-point attaching bag with a decent sized map pocket (at least 5" x10" and preferably a little wider) and a rain cover that lets you continue to use the map? (I figure I'll need this on my trip to Alaska next summer.) I'd like something large enough to include my SLR, GPS, glasses, Treo, wallet, etc., that I can easily take off when I leave the bike unattended. A three point attachment like the Cortech Super Mini uses makes this a snap - too bad it's too small and that the raincover covers up the map window...

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
wjg4 said:
I filed off little half moons next to the latch, but that didn't help. I might be a little more patient with this bag, but I find the map pocket useless (for holding anything in larger than a postcard), and when you put the raincover on it covers up the darned thing. This is one point where the little BMW bag has it over on everyone else as far as I can tell - their raincover has a clear top so you can continue to see the map in the rain.

Anyone know of a 3-point attaching bag with a decent sized map pocket (at least 5" x10" and preferably a little wider) and a rain cover that lets you continue to use the map? (I figure I'll need this on my trip to Alaska next summer.) I'd like something large enough to include my SLR, GPS, glasses, Treo, wallet, etc., that I can easily take off when I leave the bike unattended. A three point attachment like the Cortech Super Mini uses makes this a snap - too bad it's too small and that the raincover covers up the map window...
This Might be close...

http://rka-luggage.com/A08 BMW/K1200LT/K1200LT.html

The map holder is perfect for streets and trips map printouts.
I've used it in the rain without the raincover without maps getting too wet.

Attachments

·
IBR# 366
16,542 Posts
These tank bags are quite popular with Long Distance riders. I don't know if she has anything specific for the LT, but she can make anything you want.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Narrowing it down...

Thanks to Michael and Ken I have concluded that although the Chicane is a great bag, it's not well suited for my purposes, so I'm putting it up for sale in the Classifieds forum.

I'm going to investigate the RKA and Linda's custom bags, and the Chase Harper bags, all of which seem better designed for my purposes. Maybe I'll put up another post once I get it all figured out...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts