BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all i know this subject gets brought up alot on this message board and i have spent hours reading peoples questions and answers about this stuff but havent found what i need. My riding group of 16 bikes all have CB's mounted on their bikes and that is the way the leader of the pack chooses to communicate as we ride. I dont really agree with it because of alot of reasons but i need to get one for my LT. I have installed J&M units on probably 6 bikes and all of them seem to have problem somewhere down the line, so i do not want to go with a J&M handlebar unit because that and the price is kind of high.

I have a 2000 LT with (what the manual says) a BC II intercom system. I have a Helmet with J&M speakers and mic installed in my helmet with upper and lower cords. With all of that said here is my idea for a CB.....A Midland cb with a PTT and whatever cords i need to plug into the jacks of my intercom system and be able to communicate with the other bikers?.. Can this be done without having to purchase a pricey J&M or a BMW unit? Please help me out here and tell me what i need to buy and where i can get it. It is starting to get frustrating. :confused:

Thanks in advance,
Joshua

·
Registered
794 Posts
Stop riding with Goldwings.
You own a Beemer now. Act like it.

:rotf: :histerica :rotf: :histerica :rotf: :histerica :rotf: :histerica

·
Registered
180 Posts
Get in touch with these people. They can probably point you in the right direction if they don't already have a solution. http://www.sierra-mc.com/default.asp . This is one unit on their page that may work with your set up .http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=MID-75-822 but would need a connection cord something like this but not sure of your system exactly http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=JM-JMSR-AC17 . Some of the cords for the Integratr IV work with the BMW set up. I use all my old LT cables on the Integratr. I would call Sierra though and they can walk you through it. Good Luck (P.S. GMRS is much better! Make them change :) )

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,946 Posts
I made my own antenna mount and used a $99.00 Radio Shack hand held radio. It will operate off of 12V, not water proof but some what water resistant. I interfaced it to my Autocom intercom on the same port as the FRS radio pigtail. Worked like a champ.

·
Registered
84 Posts
MikeERideWNC said:
Stop riding with Goldwings.
You own a Beemer now. Act like it.

:rotf: :histerica :rotf: :histerica :rotf: :histerica :rotf: :histerica
Now that is funny. I don't care who you are. That is funny.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jzeiler,
So what cord did u get to connect your cb to the intercom system? Were you able to talk thru your helmet mike and transmit like that? Because i have connected my midland cb to my BCII intercom system but all i can do is hear the tranmissions and i cant transmit myself.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Knoticalone,
Thanks for the info. I called them but they said if i wanted a cord to connect the cb to intercom i would need to call the BMW dealer. Thanks anyways though

·
Registered
180 Posts
It was worth a try. They have always been able to help me. Send me a pic of the front of your intercom so I can see what it looks like. May not be the same one I had. Mine looked like this.

Attachments

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,946 Posts
beemerguywhotravelsalot said:
Jzeiler,
So what cord did u get to connect your cb to the intercom system? Were you able to talk thru your helmet mike and transmit like that? Because i have connected my midland cb to my BCII intercom system but all i can do is hear the tranmissions and i cant transmit myself.
I don't think what I have will help much since I have the Autocom aftermarket intercom. There are plenty of diagrams for interconnect cables on this site, just need to determine what radio and which intercom.

·
Registered
710 Posts
jzeiler said:
I don't think what I have will help much since I have the Autocom aftermarket intercom. There are plenty of diagrams for interconnect cables on this site, just need to determine what radio and which intercom.
John,
Which Autocom do you have? I have a Pro-7-Sport and would like very much to add a CB to it.

Did you attach to the 5-pin aux input or use the 3.5mm aux input?
Did you add the Autocom PTT harnesses or just use VOX? I think I would prefer PTT on the bike-to-bike comm so I can still use the intercom w/ my passenger.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,946 Posts
Dave,

I have the Super Pro-Avi. It has a grey DIN socket that will accept cables for various radios and I added the PTT. I was just using an FRS radio as most of the LT riders used them. I needed a CB for the CCR trip so I got the radio shack hand held CB from my son for fathers day and adapted the FRS cable to the RS radio. If yours has it (the grey socket) I can send you a diagram to adapt the CB. The hard part is finding a mating DIN plug as it is an odd size.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts