BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Help!! HyperPro Springs

2K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  deputy5211 
#1 ·
Hello, trying to remove shock spring from rear shock. Can't seem to get it released.

Looking for help as usual.

Front shock spring went okay.

Thanks,

Rick

#2 ·
did you loosen the set screw (very small hex) that holds the pre-adjuster collar in place on the shock body?

Also, you may find it helpful to mark the location and orientation of the adjuster's collar on the shock body before loosening/removing it.

DAMHIK :rolleyes:

#4 ·
when I did mine, I could not figure out why I had to work so hard to compress the spring. Turns out I was also compressing the shock! Released the set screw and Bob's your uncle.

#5 ·
Thanks Tony, Front shock with new spring went on without a hitch. Going back today and change the rear shock spring. Hard to believe the tiny set screw can retain the shock, but surely does.

The knowledge on this forum is what makes the LT such a pleasure to maintain, not to mention the ride and comfort.

Rick,

#6 ·
Wow, What a difference. The LT tracks, rides, corners better than ever. As many have said before, it truly is a major and economical improvement. My shocks have about 30k but this is incredible. Now at 102k, ready for another 102k.

Ended up fabricating a top plate to fit compressor for rear shock. I weigh 175 lbs and have the preload at the lowest setting. After 300 miles, amazing.

Thanks for all the help!!

#7 ·
I also just got my Hyperpro springs on my bike. cant wait to take a ride up north this weekend and put them to the test

#10 ·
Where is the best place to buy hyperpro springs? At 32K miles I think my '09 is ready for some already. I bottomed out a couple of times yesterday in some sweepers that had some bounce to them. I was riding unloaded and solo, so that is not good. It is rather unnerving when the skid plate hits the ground in a turn at speed. :mad:
Thanks,
Steve

#11 ·
Is this thread dead? I am still wondering where everyone is buying thier hyperpro springs.

#14 ·
When I changed mine I did this
Took the sides, handlebar covers, ignition cover, tank off.
This exposed the nut for the top of the front shock .
Loosened the right caliper, and square connector next to it.
This gave the shocks length to travel up and down.

Removed right foot peg and battery cover.
This gives you access to the rear shock bolts.
Loosen them, remove the rear shock.

An Allen key and wrench will loosen the top front shock bolt.
Tilt the front of the bike up a bit, and you can remove the bottom of the front shock.

Replace the springs and put everything back together.
This is a bit of a condensed version but the job can be done in about 4-5 hours taking your time and going to lunch. :)

#15 ·
+1 on EPMPerf, Just give them a call, Very Helpful

Shocks are not that difficult to remove. After you get shocks off, front spring can be changed with traditional clamp type compressor. Rear either fabricate to compress from the top or as previous posters mentioned, take to Pep Boys or some other place that can swap springs for you. There is also a small allen screw that needs to be loosened on the preload ring at top of shock. I had to use very slight heat to release lock-tite. Thanks Tony.

Do a search to find much information here.

Hang in there and reap the benefit of a great improvement on the LT.

#16 ·
They are not difficult to get off the LT at all, but I found putting the shocks back on the LT to be quite the PITA.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.