BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to install a DDM HID H7 low beam in my 2000 K1200LT any step by step or tips on doing it?

Thanks

Jim

·
Premium Member
4,875 Posts
Jim, I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for in the way of help. A search will bring up lots of hints, step by step instructions and pictures of several installations. Is a DDM a special HID?

I installed a HID on my 2002 when it was new and found that removing the nose cone made the job a little easier. Some have done the job without removing it. The entire project took less than 3 hours.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
+1 on removing the nose cone. I have installed HID twice. The first time without removing the nose cone. The second time (to install the high beam), I removed the cone and found that getting my giant ham-fists in there was a lot easier. Also, a lot easier to conveniently anchor the ballasts, IMO.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,157 Posts
Without removing the nosecone, took about 45 minutes on a pre-05 to install the low beam only.
It is nice to have a lift, but if you don't and if you own a very large dog you can "borrow" the 50lbs bag of dog food to rest on while connecting everything.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Jim,

I just installed the same item from DDM last weekend, I took the nose cowling off and removed the headlamp assembly. Its so much easier to work on at workbench height. I used heavy duty self adhering velcro to stick the ballast on the ledge over the headlight.

easy job, just takes a bit of time.

Ron

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi Jim,

I just finished my HID install today, and it took me about an hour :D . I did the install without removing any tupperware at all :dance: . I was able to access everything from under the front of the fairing and it was almost as easy as just replacing the bulb.

I purchased my kit on eBay from Xenon Warehouse for $35 with free shipping. It's a Ultra Slim Digital Ballast HID Conversion Kit for the H-7 (Low Beam), 35 watt, 5000K Bulb. The Ballast is thinner than a AA Battery and smaller than a credit card, (3"x 2.5" x 0.5").

I got the kit for a car as it comes with two of everything so now I have a complete back up in the saddlebag. The kit is "plug and play", 100% vibration and waterproof with a one year warranty.

It works great and the light is "Awesome". I was convinced by all the others on this site that did their conversions and I can see why they did. It was easy and the results are unbelievable.

Have fun doing it,

Mike :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Mike,

Your post regarding your HID install encourages me to jump in and do it for my 2000 K1200ltc. The stock lighting is really pathetic.

I wasn't able to locate Xenon Warehouse in eBay; I did find hid_xenonwarehouse1818. Is that the correct store?

Thanks for a reply.

Michael

·
Registered
14 Posts
Micheal - I couldn't find the Xenon on ebay either so I went with the DDM tuning kit. The website says they're based in San Diego, but the kit came from China. I wasn't thrilled about that but the kit went in fine and the light is 100% better (if not more) than the stock bulb.

I do have a question, since I've only had my 03 for about a month... Is the low beam supposed to stay on when you select the high beam? I didn't notice that on the original buld, but I havent' done much night driving yet. I was wondering if I hooked it up wrong or if that is how it is supposed to be...

Steve

1 - 13 of 13 Posts