BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help. I am trying to get the air filter box off the bike and can't seem to find a way to do this. I have box loose other then the 4 rubber boots that go to the intake. I can see the silver clamps on the intake but only one screw I can get to, to loosen. 1 is sideways and I may be able to get to that but the other 2 face the other direction and I don't see a way to get to these.

Do I need to loosen these clamps on the intake or does the box just pull off and I am not pulling hard enough or is there something I am missing.

HELP

any picture would be helpful as well or if you PM your phone number I will give you a call so you can describe the process to me better. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
When I removed mine, I think two were screw type and two were clip type. The rear most was the hardest to get to, and I think I had to use a very long thin screwdriver. The clip type just take a twist of a bladed (common) screwdriver and they pop right off.

I did learn that the airbox CAN hold the engine up. You have to loosen them.

Assuming that you get them off, watch carefully when you replace them that they don't interferre with the throttle movement.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Looks like you are dealing with two types of clamps. Here is what Chapter 13 of my BMW service manual says:
-Open non-reusable hose clips (2, 3) and screwtype
hose clamps (4, 5) at throttle valve stubs.
- [Activated charcoal filter] Remove timing valve
from its holder.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure:
pay particular attention to the following.
- Secure non-reusable hose clips (2, 3) with pliers,
BMW No. 13 1 510.
- Make sure that screw of hose clamp (4) on cylinder
No. 3 is aligned exactly in forward direction
of travel.

See attached photo for number references.

Attachments

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,341 Posts
I am not sure what your ultimate goal is but the throttle bodies and air box, as an assembly, come off really easy with screw clamps at the bottom.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, I got everything off and even got the onetime clamps back together. What ever I did seemed to fix my issue. I think it may just be dumb luck.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Tom1200 said:
well, I got everything off and even got the onetime clamps back together. What ever I did seemed to fix my issue. I think it may just be dumb luck.

Thanks for the help.
You finally figured that the air filter is changed from the top, huh...:p :D

Regards

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, here is what happened. My mechanic friend sent me down a rabbit trail by mistake and wanted the air box off to get to something. But what he thought he wanted to get to was something else so, the box came off and the item wasn't there.

I at least got to clean some stuff up underneath.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Tom1200 said:
well, I got everything off and even got the onetime clamps back together. .
so, you reused the onetime use clamps....
do they simply snap back together?

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
They don't come apart. I've found that you can open them with a small headed screwdriver and then re-crimp them with needle-nose pliers. I wouldn't do it too many times, but I've done it.

HTH,
Jer

1 - 10 of 10 Posts