BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got to Boca Raton for my meetings and had no rear brakes.

They are non existent and I can "pump" them 10+ times and they seem to come back.

I got a ride to the parts store to get some DOT 4 fluid last night thinking I would find an empty reserve brake tank under the rear seat.

When I opened the reserve brake fluid tank it was FULL...

I could not spend any time on it last night not this morning as I am at a team meeting and had to work (don;t you hate that).

I am done at 4pm today and need to get back to Orlando.

Any suggestions?

Bike is a 2000 LT, 51K miles, Had the rear brake fluid flushed at the dealer in ORL just 1.5K miles ago.

Thanks in advance, I am in a bind.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that is what i am gonna do, but was hoping for some ideas on a quick fix...

Trying to avoid going :kaboom: before I get home

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
There's not a quick fix, most likely your rear master cylinder is shot. Happen to mine on trip this spring. Not that big of a deal just take it easy use your front brakes. We road home 1200 miles with very little or no rear brakes.

Here's a quick test: pump up the rear brake and hold if it goes down slowly then it most likely the master. You can buy a new one or look for a rebuild kit. Beemer Boneyard has some used ones for just a few bucks. I got one and it works great, now I will rebuild my orginial.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
amarider said:
There's not a quick fix, most likely your rear master cylinder is shot. Happen to mine on trip this spring.

You can buy a new one or look for a rebuild kit. Beemer Boneyard has some used ones for just a few bucks. I got one and it works great, now I will rebuild my orginial.

I looked on beemer boneyard and could not find a rebuild kit nor any used ones.

Any chance you have a direct link?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Sure looks like they have one..

http://www.beemerboneyard.com/34312332892.html

I don't believe they carry a 14mm rebuild kit but I just went into a local shop with my old rear Master. We pulled it apart and they ordered the parts I needed.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,459 Posts
pauleknight said:
I looked on beemer boneyard and could not find a rebuild kit nor any used ones.

Any chance you have a direct link?

Thanks
HI, Paul --- just a thought. On the '99/'00 models, the rear reservoir has a rubber thangie (called a diaphragm, I think) that lives under the cap. One time, I looked at mine and could see fluid and thought I wuz good to go. Turns out, I forgot, or didn't know :( , about the diaphragm. Removed the diaphragm and the reservoir wuz actually low on fluid.

Like I said - just a thought, if you haven't tried lifting out the diaphragm (how do you spell that thang, anyway?!?!?! :mad: ). Good luck in getting back to home base.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Dick said:
HI, Paul --- just a thought. On the '99/'00 models, the rear reservoir has a rubber thangie (called a diaphragm, I think) that lives under the cap. One time, I looked at mine and could see fluid and thought I wuz good to go. Turns out, I forgot, or didn't know :( , about the diaphragm. Removed the diaphragm and the reservoir wuz actually low on fluid.

Like I said - just a thought, if you haven't tried lifting out the diaphragm (how do you spell that thang, anyway?!?!?! :mad: ). Good luck in getting back to home base.
+1.

When you hear hoof beats don't start looking for zebras.... and remember, under the best of braking situations the most stopping power you get from the rear is 10%. You'll be just fine.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
THANKS

I ordered the replacement master cylinder for rear brakes for two day deliver from beemer boneyard a few minutes ago.

Thanks for the assistance.

Paul

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
When mine went it was the hose connected to the rear master cylinder.

Never saw any leaks.. It just swelled up when I would press the rear pedal..You might want to have a new hose made up at a local hydraulic hose shop to and put it on while you're at it...

Since you're going to have to bleed the brakes anyway..

John

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Made it home 100% ok except for a rain storm and the LT decided to lay down and take a nap on the side of the road while I got my rain gear on.

I am not saying this in a sarcastic manner, but I do love this bike.

Well I have front and rear pads on the way and a replacement rear master on the way also. Hell, this will be a new bike when all is said and done.

When I take her apart I am going to run down to the hydrolics store and get a new rear hose made while I am at it.

Next weekend we are going to Key west.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts